Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Subwoofer and Mains Filter - Problems?
(27-Oct-2015, 19:19)technikspezi Wrote: One other question on this. Is there any rule how to change the phase when I decide to use 1, 2, 3, 4th order filtering? For Example if I use full range or 2nd order high pass on the speakers. Does that effect the phase of the subwoofer?

Unfortunately I can only choose 0, 90, 180, 270 degree of phase.

There may be a relationship but if so I don't think its one that you can predict.  Typically if the "phase" control on a sub-woofer has more flexibility than just 0/180 degrees, it is in reality a time delay control with the delay expressed in terms of phase at a fixed frequency (normally 80 Hz).  The purpose of this is at least partly to correct for difference in acoustic distance between the sub and main speakers.  At least, that is my understanding.  So there is no a priori way to determine what phase will give the best integration - it's a matter of experimentation, and ideally measurement, in your set-up.  The aim is to get the flattest frequency response around the cross-over point.

(27-Oct-2015, 19:19)technikspezi Wrote: Right now, I'm more blending the speakers and subwoofer. The subwoofer crossover is at 90Hz. The speakers was at 25, now at 50hz. Should I have to set both filter at the same value? Or do i need o leave a bigger gab between them?

From what I've read, the normal recommendation is to set the same cross-over frequency on both mains and sub.

However, in the end it's up to your ears to decide what you prefer.

(27-Oct-2015, 19:19)technikspezi Wrote: The subwoofer is not getting a signal when the speakers get full range. I can even turn the subwoofer off and I will notice a big difference between the 25hz filter and the full-range. Sounds like if the filter affects much more than just up to 25Hz.

OK, that certainly blows up my theory Smile  In that case I'm stumped.  Sorry.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: Subwoofer and Mains Filter - Problems? - by thumb5 - 27-Oct-2015, 20:40