Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A touch of brightness
womaz from the sounds of it you have lots of reflective surfaces so i think its worthwhile considering "something" to cover some first reflection points.

if you want to put up treatments on the side wall, you can either purchase some, or home make some to save some money and then fix in painting prints on them. that way it just looks like really thick painting on the wall!

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-gen...ion-26168/

Heres some different things you can do in a room that dont look obtrusive (generally speaking)
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
OK this is crazy. I have been doing a few experiments with speaker placement as mentioned above and nothing helped.
Tonight I plugged the original power cord from Devialet in instead of the copper line alpha one power cables I have used for a few year.......and guess what the brightness has definitely been tamed, how is this even possible

I have even convinced myself that I could be imagining it so the proof will be in a few days when I put the other one back in.
I clearly have too much time on my hands ?
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Now there's a thing Womaz.....

Funny thing is, a did pick up some information recently from, shall we say, an "industry source". The info was that Devilaet (who have stated that cables make no difference) have done actual tests which have found measurable differences with different power cables. Can this be true???? To be honest, I am deeply skeptical, but to be even more honest, I have never spent much time comparing power cables myself, so I really am in no position to comment.

Has anyone else heard about Devialet's alleged cable testing?
I could of course be imagining it, you know the placebo effect. I have tried a few things suggested on this thread and none so far helped, so maybe my mind was just desperate to hear an improvement .......:-)

Time will tell
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
I have tested with different type of power cables on my Le200 before and settled on my AQ NRG-X3 as it allows me to cover up with the backplate. I have tried using Shunyata Mojave, Sidewinder, Taipan and Anaconda. All has different sound characteristics. At the end, I sill choose aesthetics over better SQ.

So, what Womaz heard could be his power cable's brighter characteristics.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(04-Nov-2015, 00:43)hk6230 Wrote: I have tested with different type of power cables on my Le200 before and settled on my AQ NRG-X3 as it allows me to cover up with the backplate. I have tried using Shunyata Mojave, Sidewinder, Taipan and Anaconda. All has different sound characteristics. At the end, I sill choose aesthetics over better SQ.

So, what Womaz heard  could be his power cable's brighter characteristics.

Which begs the question.....are there any power cables that will dampen the brightness I hear?
You can try power cable that claims to offer warmer sound. I found the Shunyata Mojave and Anaconda offer really warm characteristics. Search your area for a used one.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Ok an update.
I am now fairly convinced this is my hearing now. I have experimented all morning , using the 200 with the PMCs. Then I tried the headphone amp with the headphones. This was less bright for sure but it was still there.
Then I took the Devialet out of the playback all together and switched to my Sony High res portable.......guess what the brightness was still there.

PMCs were the brightest so no doubt this is the room......the Auralic HP amp was the least bright sounding. I could hear this straight away.

So after all this it looks like there is very little I can do about this, other than listen at lower volumes, and I know I wont do this.
Saves cash on a rug though ;-)

I am going to do a little experimenting with the treble turned down by say -5 on the 200 and see how that sounds. From my memory I did not like this though as it lost a bit of detail and dynamics.
I have a day off so nothing better to do ;-)
There's another option worth mentioning. Instead of only turning treble down and forfeiting detail you might at least try turning bass up or some combination thereof.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(09-Nov-2015, 14:38)Manoet Wrote: There's another option worth mentioning. Instead of only turning treble down and forfeiting detail you might at least try turning bass up or some combination thereof.

Will do that too, all worth a go. Thanks