Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
New versions of Spark 1.3.1 and firmware 1.4.1.12
This is interesting - the improved sound is a bit OT but here goes.  

I'm evaluating the system after about 15 hours of break in.  After listening some hours, I'm just not finding it to be better than even my system which is, at retail level, not quite double of Phantoms.  

The Phantom has a lot of dynamic range and power.  
Second,  it is also remarkably small for the degree of dynamic range and power.  Nothing quite like it.
Third, vocals are quite remarkable - very present - almost as if they EQ for focal accentuation. 

However, it feels like a decent stereo system but my number on issue is that I find it lacking in resolution compared to the system I'm currently running which is not even that expensive, albeit they are highly resolving.  This includes the bass which can thump but I am running a couple of small sealed dipole subwoofers that are only 10 inches to a side with dual opposing 8" drivers.  I suspend the subs off 20" off the ground.   Bass note on these 'lowly' subs have signfiicantly better presence and speed - they bass notes have very clean edges which contributes to resolution.  The Phantom are decent but they are not as clean.  They are more 'thumpy' if I may say so.    My Phantoms are on 28" tall speaker stands and front face is at least 30" from rear wall and even more from side walls.  

The other is that my existing system has more upper 'air', more resolution, and greater transient speed. There is a sense of greater delicacy. 

Am I alone in this?  Anything I can do to increase apparent resolution AND get better highs?  

Thanks,
MtnGuy

Messages In This Thread
RE: New versions of Spark 1.3.1 and firmware 1.4.1.12 - by MountainGuy - 03-Nov-2015, 21:28