Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
New versions of Spark 1.3.1 and firmware 1.4.1.12
Without the aid of a systems architecture document, and circuit/software description..... using my own analytical instruments (frequency and spectrum analyzers, packet sniffers, and port probes) I offer the following:

The Dialog radio architecture cannot support the marketing and white paper claims for Wifi only performance. To handle up to 24 Phantoms w/without a Dialog requires at least a commercial grade WASP with 802.11ac Wave 2 1.6 gbs throughput capability, and the channel agility smart/bonding cognitive algorithms to handle an "industrial" application as one could construe from  the Devialet advertorials.

These units from excellent companies like Ruckus are typically $1K plus. Devialet has incorporated 2.4 and 5G radios in the Dialog with some claimed "smarts", but it's performance is mediocre, and a fragile implementation.

There has been no comprehensive independent published review of a large scale ( i.e. up to 24 Phantoms) Wifi only ( or ethernet/CPL based) Phantom network. And parenthetically, no Devialet published white paper illustrating actual configuration, environment and performance stress testing at system capacity.

In a Wifi only application with Dialog and multiple Phantoms (3-4) the units current design implementation will overheat likely due to the radios and processor overload handling of ambient RFI. Degradation is shown as frustrating dropouts, phase shifting, unit disappearances and recovery through a complete power down and full reset.

Ethernet and CPL hardwiring of the Dialog and Phantoms to a "solid" switch and router with high bandwidth WAN internet capability gives the most trouble free listening experience. The Dialog system architecture is not overly burdened with RFI fault detection and correction cycles because of the high signal integrity of the "wired" network, and does not require frequent power down/cool down full resets.

Spark does need a strong Wifi network integrated with the router for best intercom with the Dialog, and linking to the streaming and outboard sources. The Dialog optical in is fragile, and careful plugging of the source cable is essential in the current version. When optical connectivity is good the resultant musical output is excellent.

Spark is a very clumsy "beginner" app and too proprietary to last. I suspect  there will be a strategic change of direction by Devialet  to make NAS and ROON et al part of the option source list and much more ROON like in it's curation and source management.

So in the interim, I recommend the use of ethernet and CPL pairing devices like TP Link 8010's connected to your Dialog and Phantom(s) and your switch/router/WAN network to give you location independence ( no need for 30-100 meter ethernet cables ) with high quality wifi access points in the same network for your smartphones, tablets, laptops and desktops utilization of Spark. 

I pray for the day when the Phantoms "sing no more". 

If anyone has the systems design documentation, I would be pleased to be part of a peer group review solely in the interest of making the network architecture the equal of the speaker design per se.
Levinson 33 amps, Wilson Grand Slamm S3's, Levinson 32 ref pre and ad/da, Basis Ovation and Rega 40 with JSpall custom tone arms, Lyra, Ortofon & Grado cartridges, Marantz AV 8801, PSAudio phono pre, Devialet Dialog w  5 Gold Phantoms, Wilson powered subwoofer, Watch center, Wilson surrounds, Kaleidescape Movie server, Crestron AV controller and switch, 120 MBS docsis3 modem, 20 MBS xdsl modem, Peplink balance 20 router, Ruckus 802.11ac Wave 2 WAPS plus multi Pakedge WAPs, 48 port POE gigabit switch, NetGear 8TB NAS, Amazon Fire,ROKU and Apple TV gen 4, 12 core Mac Pro, Macbook Air Retina, 65" and 50" Runco TV's. Blue sound node 2, OPPO BDP105D, DSpeaker AntiMode 2.0, Octava HDMI/Optical switch, cabling Nordost for analog, Cardas and wireworld for digital/optical.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New versions of Spark 1.3.1 and firmware 1.4.1.12 - by ondastar - 14-Nov-2015, 04:42