Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who are using vinyl as main source?
Hi,
I listen very often to vinyl, but have made peace with digital domain since 24/96 replay is available.
Music was always a very important part of my life, so I had a relatively large ( for a young person) vinyl record collection as the CD was introduced. I always have been interested in new technologies, so I bought a CD-Player as soon I could afford one, it was a Philips, don't know the exact name.
The promise was crystal clear music reproduction, no pops, no clics, no hiss and I jumped on the digital train. One of the first cd's I bought was Billy Joel's Innocent Man and the absence of background noise, especially when that triangle of the title track was played, impressed me. Let me say that my turntable was not state of the art :-).
Fool I was I changed a reasonable amount of my vinyl into CD.
Later then I drifted into the Audio scene and I heard some good record players. It was the time as vinyl seems to die out and there were only a few good decks as Roksan Xerxes, Platine Verdier, SOTA or Linn Sondek LP12.
I could afford a Linn Axis turntable to play the rest of my vinyl collection and he killed my CD-Player sonically.
I always had a CD-Player, because in those times music was mainly released on CD, but if there were a release on vinyl I bought these.
Things changed as DVD-Audio and SACD became available. Since then digital is on eye level with analog for me, when played on the best devices. I prefer to play digital files from harddisc, sounds better for me than a discplayer.
This is likely a story many audiophiles could tell!

Nowadays playing vinyl is like a ceremony for me, maybe like the ancient japanese tea ceremony, I do this mainly at the weekend, during the week I listen mainly to digital files, I ripped all my CD's and look for downloads for new music.
Since 1989 I have a Linn LP12, made all the updates, changed one time the whole device to upgrade further on and he always holds me a a step on the analog side. He has the built in Urika phono stage, so I take the line input of the Devialet, what sometimes make me curious of the Devialet phono stage, but it already sounds so wonderful, I can't be bothered to change something.

Now we live in vinyl paradise, almost every new record is available on vinyl, there are great reissues and great turntables are to buy.
I occasionally buy vinyl records, mostly reissues, and have a lot of fun with the "ceremony". Love it!
Recently I have also fun to digitalize some of my vinyl with Devialet-USB, works great!
Linn LP12 Sondek + Radikal + Urika + Ekos II + EMT HSD006 - roon nucleus + SBooster - Devialet 220 Pro CI - Kef LS50 - Dspeaker Antimode 8033s II + SBooster - Kef KF92 Subwoofer

Bavaria

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who are using vinyl as main source? - by beerman - 10-Aug-2014, 13:46