Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who are using vinyl as main source?
(15-Oct-2014, 22:12)PhilP Wrote: Well you've certainly had an extremely interesting working life Smile

I've always enjoyed listening to vinyl but have only fairly recently found digital systems like Devialet which I can really enjoy. The shortcomings of many/most digital systems are usually not euphonic which is a big drawback of the technology. Simple things like 'dirty' mains or inadequate DACs seem to introduce an edge to the sound - particularly vocals - which I really hate. I've never experienced such problems with vinyl.

BTW, Whilst I was reading about RIAA curves etc I was surprised to see that the lowest note on a Bosendorfer Imperial Grand piano has a frequency of 16.5 Hz which a pianist presumably can't hear when he plays it. Also a tuner has to use an electronic device to check that it is in tune.

My wife has a Steinway model B piano and its lowest note iirc is 31Hz, so a full octave different to the monster Bosendorfer! I wonder how big it is, the model B has a ~6 foot soundboard.

The thing with record players is that one can tune to taste!
Non-isolated turntables pick up more ambient vibration, which is heard as more bass in the lower registers and more ambience in the mid frequencies.
The lower SNR od LPs means music related noise is added which gives the impression of more spacious stereo.
Most pickup arms vibrate the cartridge body at middle frequencies adding a bit of reverb.
Even in really high end cartridges there is a big variation in the way the top octave is handled. Something like the £8k Techdas rolls off rapidly at 10kHz whereas at the other extreme the Rega Apheta has a big peak in the top octave, which can be altered a bit by loading but not eliminated. Sometimes this sort of characteristic is the technical by-product of a particular design strategy considered important by the designer, sometimes just a matter of taste in listening tests (which are risky in LP systems IME as so many things have an influence).
All pickup cartridges I know of add overtones to the music.
Now, again IME, the difference between digital kit is very much smaller than these, which means that with digital you are stuck with a sound fairly close to that chosen by the recording engineer (which often seems to be a bad thing Smile).
I know what you mean about harsh sounding digital kit. I have been surprised, in my system in the past, by some well regarded CD players being disappointing.
OTOH the Devialet seems completely transparent to me. I haven't had a disappointment now in 4ish years.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who are using vinyl as main source? - by f1eng - 16-Oct-2014, 10:48