Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cartridges and phono settings
(14-Oct-2015, 06:56)Mike Turner Wrote: Hi All, the beauty of using RAM is that you can change the settings and instantly see (and hear) the results on screen. Open up a recording programme, eg Audacity, and either preview or record your disc, by changing the cartridge settings as it is playing you will see instantly the result and whether it is a good or bad setting. At the moment I am using, for my Dynavector 10X5,
RIAA 1953
max level 1.00mv
loading 30 ohms
I will no doubt do some more experimenting, but this seems to work quite well.
Have fun. Mike.

Hi Mike

I have just picked up a Oracle Delphi II with a  Ortofon Cadenza Red. I followed the configurator on settings but am confused where your modifying live via RAM, the cartridge settings. Is this on the Devialet at the phono screen or via an IOS app?

I would appreciate knowing how your accessing this tuning feature.

Thanks ever so much.

Bob
250 Pro Master, Siltech Anniversary Silver Interconnects and Speakers cables, LINN Majik Streamer, Arcam D37 SACD, Mac-mini with Kazoo, JRiver and tested Roon, Speakers, custom build, SEA Exotics, Chord Hugo, HifiMan H1000's. (home is Vancouver, Canada)
Bob - It is via the remote, using the display on the Devialet amp itself. This is quite well described in the "firmware 8.1" manual, available via Google, plus a copy of this is automatically downloaded with the firmware itself.
(19-Oct-2015, 13:13)Confused Wrote: Bob - It is via the remote, using the display on the Devialet amp itself.  This is quite well described in the "firmware 8.1" manual, available via Google, plus a copy of this is automatically downloaded with the firmware itself.

Thanks Confused. Got it, read it, got a lot of testing to do!

If I may ask a few more questions to the group. There are 3 areas in RAM to sort of play with, Max Level, Loading and pf.

The configurator has the cartridge in it's library and as per the vendor, the Ortofon Cadenza Red is set automatically at:

Max Level: 0.45
Loading: 460 ohm
pf: 0

At this level, the meters are showing ~-60 to -45 range. 

Changing Loading, pf or Max Level, up or down does not seem to have any appreciable change in the meters.

Changing the Max Level down to 0.35 seems to increase the sensitivity requiring one to turn volume down a bit for same volume level as 0.45. It seems to a better setting for this cartridge. It generates the question, are others also find themselves changing the Max Level as well or are you sticking with what the vendor or configurator provides?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
250 Pro Master, Siltech Anniversary Silver Interconnects and Speakers cables, LINN Majik Streamer, Arcam D37 SACD, Mac-mini with Kazoo, JRiver and tested Roon, Speakers, custom build, SEA Exotics, Chord Hugo, HifiMan H1000's. (home is Vancouver, Canada)
(24-Oct-2015, 06:01)boba2013 Wrote:
(19-Oct-2015, 13:13)Confused Wrote: Bob - It is via the remote, using the display on the Devialet amp itself.  This is quite well described in the "firmware 8.1" manual, available via Google, plus a copy of this is automatically downloaded with the firmware itself.

Thanks Confused. Got it, read it, got a lot of testing to do!

If I may ask a few more questions to the group. There are 3 areas in RAM to sort of play with, Max Level, Loading and pf.

The configurator has the cartridge in it's library and as per the vendor, the Ortofon Cadenza Red is set automatically at:

Max Level: 0.45
Loading: 460 ohm
pf: 0

At this level, the meters are showing ~-60 to -45 range. 

Changing Loading, pf or Max Level, up or down does not seem to have any appreciable change in the meters.

Changing the Max Level down to 0.35 seems to increase the sensitivity requiring one to turn volume down a bit for same volume level as 0.45. It seems to a better setting for this cartridge. It generates the question, are others also find themselves changing the Max Level as well or are you sticking with what the vendor or configurator provides?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

There is quite a big range in average recording level over different LPs, certainly older recordings. Modern pop seems to have been manipulated to have almost no dynamic range and the level up against the compressors though.

I have LPs which get up to the orange level on the meter, but not all do. The run-in groove and "silent" groove between the tracks tends to be around -70dB so that covers about the maximum dynamic range of an LP system.

It is important not to clip the input ADC, so it is better for sound quality to be a bit low in level than a bit high.

Analogue has no fixed boundaries, so some records are recorded well over a 0dB level (where cartridge output is specified) at mid frequencies though some cartridges mistrack on these records.

You could raise the gain by specifying a lower cartridge output, as you have already tried. 
On the original firmware I set mine by ear, since there were no meters yet and the only indication of overload was the input logo flickering orange on the display. I still use those settings.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Anyone using a Linn Adikt cartridge? Really curious how you're setting are in the configurator.
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
(10-Jan-2016, 09:39)KraaijCheck Wrote: Anyone using a Linn Adikt cartridge? Really curious how you're setting are in the configurator.
I have an LP12 with an Adikt and Olympica 1's (and am looking at the moon transport as well - are you using the XLR input?).

I played around with the gain a bit in the beginning but I've kept the settings at 6.5mV and high loading - works a trick, no worry about clipping.

Usually listen around -15 to -5db depending on the recording
D200, Sonus Faber Olympica I, Linn LP12
(11-Jan-2016, 08:16)msl Wrote:
(10-Jan-2016, 09:39)KraaijCheck Wrote: Anyone using a Linn Adikt cartridge? Really curious how you're setting are in the configurator.
I have an LP12 with an Adikt and Olympica 1's (and am looking at the moon transport as well - are you using the XLR input?).

I played around with the gain a bit in the beginning but I've kept the settings at 6.5mV and high loading - works a trick, no worry about clipping.

Usually listen around -15 to -5db depending on the recording

Thanks! Yes i'm using the XLR input for the Moon transport. Sounds amazing.
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
Any one know the setup values for shelter 901 & 90x ?
(12-Jan-2016, 16:36)no32 Wrote: Any one know the setup values for shelter 901 & 90x ?

Found this on the 901here: http://www.needledoctor.com/Shelter-901-Phono-Cartridge and there is info on the 901 & 90x here: 
http://www.positive-feedback.com/pfb/axiss.htm

Hope this of some use?

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Hello,

I have a question regarding the level meters on the Devialet.
I have an Airtight PC3 cartridge with a factory suggested output voltage of 0.55 mV. I did some test changing voltage and I noticed that even if the level meters in the devialet are well underneath the yellor/red area the yellow LED that is on the front of the Devialet started occasionally flashing Red signalling a clipping. My understanding was that if the level meter were in the green range I should be in the safe area.
With the suggested settings the 0.55mV I don’t have any red flashing but obviously I need to push the volume more.
Did anyone noticed a similar behavior or can explain me the logic behind this?

Thanks

Marco