Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker cable to tame brightness?
Ok I have always been a bit cynical about the effects a speaker cable can have, but in my attempts to try and tame the brightness in my system I may try this.
I have the tellerium q black at present and this is supposedly a good very revealing cable

Would it be worth trying a new cable that is not as revealing.?
A cheaper tellerium q option maybe.
Anyone know of any reasonably priced cable that could tame the brightness
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I have been very pleased with Townshend Isolda DCT (http://www.townshendaudio.com/isolda-speaker-cables/) which have a reputation for being slightly on the "soft"-sounding side. They are not outrageously expensive, although that's a very personal judgement of course.

(I'm still not convinced about whether cables have any objective technical effect, and can sympathise completely with f1eng's point of view that something much simpler should do the job quite adequately.)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
womaz, I bought van damme hifi 4mm to try with my facts. It's the brand PMC use themselves, so I guess the combination of that and the Bryston amps is what the PMC sound is designed around. It's very reasonably priced by hifi standards. You'll see it (or the blue version) in some photos from PMC demos. Lots of recording studios use it.

I felt it was less bright than the Teddy Pardo cable I was using which is silver based. But I never went back to compare, not least since I'd knicked the WBt banana plugs off teddys cable and couldn't be bothered to put them back again. I wonder how much of it is imagined as long term the speakers seemed to remain bright in my setup.

I was actually just thinking of resurrecting it on my Neats. I could do with some extra detail back, so if I get around to it should be a good comparison.

Everyone's different but in my case, I need a fairly long time to adjust. I think ultimately you become very used to a sound, and any changes seem quite extreme. At first my Neats seemed like I'd lost all detail compared to the Facts and I doubted I could keep them. A week in, I still feel the same, but the effect is much less - I'm just becoming more used to it.

If you find something reduces brightness but takes away detail (even tone controls) maybe live with it for a few weeks and see if ultimately you stil miss the detail - you may find you don't. He says, thinking about what speaker to try next..... Wink

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Before my devialet days I had a Plinius power amp, it had a tendency to be a bit bright with my speakers, I upgraded to a MIT cable, it did wonders in my system, I still use the cables and I don't think they will leave my system anytime soon. If a home demo is possible in your parts of the world it may be worth a try...

Best regards Morten
Devialet 200, Graditech Voima 1 Power cable, MIT shotgun S1.3 Speaker cable, Neeper Acoustics Perfect One Speakers
Aurender N100H, MIT Shotgun AC1 Power Cable, Audioquest Forest RJ45, Transparent Premium USB Cable

Denmark
(15-Nov-2015, 15:43)Hifi_swlon Wrote: womaz, I bought van damme hifi 4mm to try with my facts. It's the brand PMC use themselves, so I guess the combination of that and the Bryston amps is what the PMC sound is designed around. It's very reasonably priced by hifi standards. You'll see it (or the blue version) in some photos from PMC demos. Lots of recording studios use it.

I felt it was less bright than the Teddy Pardo cable I was using which is silver based. But I never went back to compare, not least since I'd knicked the WBt banana plugs off teddys cable and couldn't be bothered to put them back again.  I wonder how much of it is imagined as long term the speakers seemed to remain bright in my setup.

I was actually just thinking of resurrecting it on my Neats. I could do with some extra detail back, so if I get around to it should be a good comparison.

Everyone's different but in my case, I need a fairly long time to adjust. I think ultimately you become very used to a sound, and any changes seem quite extreme. At first my Neats seemed like I'd lost all detail compared to the Facts and I doubted I could keep them. A week in, I still feel the same, but the effect is much less - I'm just becoming more used to it.

If you find something reduces brightness but takes away detail (even tone controls) maybe live with it for a few weeks and see if ultimately you stil miss the detail - you may find you don't. He says, thinking about what speaker to try next..... Wink

I will check these out.
I agree with the detail. The more I timker the more i think everything is a compromise. I lose the brightness when treble set to -2.5, but I lose a lot more too. Detail for sure and vocals stand out less. It just sounds much too dull to live with.

I am more thinking along the lines of a cheap speaker cable which is not as revealing as the TQ Black that I have. I paid £200 for this. In my eyes thats a lot of cash for speaker cable.
Just throwing all ideas out there for now.

I will check out the Townshend too but would imagine they are expensive and the MIT probably very difficult to get in UK

Thanks for ideas
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Just to add I even had my 200 sitting on my wooden chopping board yesterday and for first 20 minutes thought I could hear a difference.......way way too much time on my hands at the minute. Big Grin Big Grin
(15-Nov-2015, 17:25)Womaz Wrote: I am more thinking along the lines of a cheap speaker cable which is not as revealing as the TQ Black that I have. I paid £200 for this. In my eyes thats a lot of cash for speaker cable.
Just throwing all ideas out there for now.

I will check out the Townshend too but would imagine they are expensive and the MIT probably very difficult to get in UK

Thanks for ideas

Yes, the Isolda is a bit more expensive than that. Sorry, I didn't know what sort of budget you had in mind.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
The Van Damme is about £5/m. ;-)

http://www.vdctrading.com/shop/van-damme...per-metre/

Or there's a 6mm at about 8 quid a metre.

If it's good enough for recording studios and PMC, it's got to be worth a shot....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Have you tried playing around with the Tone Control (lowering the treble down just a notch)?
(16-Nov-2015, 17:33)samurai7595 Wrote: Have you tried playing around with the Tone Control (lowering the treble down just a notch)?

Yes I have. I could only really tame it a touch if I turned it down by at least -2.5, but it lost so much more so it sounded worse. Dull , flat and lost a lot of dynamics IMO.