Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAM %
i don't understand the % option with SAM. what does it mean and how do i decide how high the % should be? in my default configuration its 35% but how would i choose if to go higher, lower, or keep it as is ?

since there's 100 steps its kind of crazy. at the end of the day ill play it by the ear however i want to understand the logic behind it

what am i missing ?
Download the 9.0.1 firware package, there's a description in the included manual of what lowering/increasing the sam % does.

To see in detail what it does in your room, with your speakers you'll have to make measurements.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I'll do both. Thx
Is there a rule of thumb ?
Btw I can't download new config keep getting error , any idea ?
(25-Dec-2015, 00:42)no32 Wrote: I'll do both. Thx
Is there a rule of thumb ?
Btw I can't download new config keep getting error , any idea ?

Try using a different browser, this fixed my problem.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Easy way to set sam % is to play test tones in the low bass at listening level or slightly above.. I have found that at high sam %'s and highish levels you can actually hear the bass limiters kicking in , clucking type sounds, you need to turn the % down till the clucking disappears..
I dont have sam , but have helped set up a few systems with sam and have noticed that 10-20% seems to be the sweet spot for the 3 or so systems I have tried this with. These systems were played quite loud , so if you play soft , the clucking might not be at all "problematic"
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
Interesting , iplay very loud , wish I could play louder ... I did noticed the limiter kicks in ... As for now my fav is 14%.
I'll listen to it for few days . Im not sure I prefer SAM set to On
I run SAM at 15%. At 100%, it's way too much bass (and not nearly as well integrated with the rest of the sound) on my Magico Q1 speakers. But I clearly prefer the sound with SAM on. My understanding is that you get all the phase alignment benefits, even if SAM is only at 1%.
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
No32,

If you're on a Mac, I found Safari does not work well with the configurator. You can make a config file, but downloading it is problematic. With Firefox, it works reliably well.

RE: SAM percentage. As I understand it, SAM makes the amp alter its output power, varying with frequency, so that the driver performs closer to its design specification. It provides some compensation for impedance and cabinet characteristics. It works from 159 Hz (?) down. It also has more effect at lower volumes. As you turn up the volume, the effect of SAM compensation decreases so that the speaker is protected from overload.

When I tried the SAM profile on my ProAc Tabletes, I found that it improved the bass, and also cleared up the vocals and midrange sounds, which I thought was very interesting. I settled at about 35%. I believe that a lot of users find that the amount / percentage of SAM they use varies with firmware version as well as their room size and listening volume. I personally found that even set at 0%, it had a positive effect on the sound overall. I'm not sure there is an absolute setting that is 'correct'. If you are usually listening at very loud volume levels, you may find that you are better off with a very low SAM percentage.

If you tell us what loudspeakers you are using, you may find others with the same or similar system who can give you more relevant opinions.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(29-Dec-2015, 02:37)Damon Wrote: No32,

If you're on a Mac, I found Safari does not work well with the configurator. You can make a config file, but downloading it is problematic. With Firefox, it works reliably well.
[...]
Actually there is a workaround: instead of asking to download the config file, ask to open it in a new tab and it will download perfectly.
Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(29-Dec-2015, 18:31)Jean-Marie Wrote: Actually there is a workaround: instead of asking to download the config file, ask to open it in a new tab and it will download perfectly.
Jean-Marie

Intersting idea. I'll give it a try in the next few days; I'm thinking of making the big jump from 7.1.1 to 7.1.3!

Thanks JM
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada