Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opticla autoswitch and default volume?
Hi,

I have Sonos and a TV connected to my Phantom system. I really like the autoswitch functionality, but it always defaults to a volume of 30 when switching. When using Sonos, the ideal volume is around 80 because I control volume using Sonos. When using TV it might be 50-60 by default. 

Is it possible to control what the default volume will be per source (like one can with e.g. Sonos)?

Br,
Martin
This would be nice. I have the same "problem" with my node2. An option to lock the volume of the optical inputs would be very helpfull.
You will not find that kind of user-friendly functions on Spark software ! No signs if they will ever implement such a thing. A choice for Dialog/Phantom is a choice for sound, the rest a big questionmark...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
I agree. I Wish Devialet would focus on seamless integration with other software rather than implementing streaming UIs, something which the likes of Google, Spotify and Sonos are much, much better equipped to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A slight reminder for people using Phantom's Optical input:
To get full signal quality, you should only use the Phantom's internal Volume Control (via Spark), and set source volume on TV/Sonos/etc to 100%. (Proper TV's normally set output level to 100% automatically through optical and disallow changing it from TV's controls).

If you change volume on the source device and output via optical output, what the source device is doing is aplying negative gain (such that some bits turn to 0) effectively reducing bit-resolution. Every time you reduce volume on the source, you simply lose the information in those bits, so instead of 24bit you are now playing 20bit, and instead of 16bit you are playing 12bit etc.
Not as far as I have been able to tell. Much better explained here than I am able to: https://en.community.sonos.com/troublesh...tions-4362

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The link you gave shows that at -48db you are losing 8 bits, getting 16bits from 24bits (if you have had those originally).
They are still transported inside a full-rate 24bit stream, but the unused bits are zero.
Agreed. I guess that I was assuming source material is <= CD quality (16 bit), in which case the extra 8 bits can be used for volume control without effect on audio quality, unless decreasing volume by more than 48 db (which is a lot).
Unless your equipment is high-end enough to upconvert 16bit signal to 24bit and then apply negative gain, and send the resulting 24bit signal via optical connection, you are still operating at 16bit. Most equipment when given 16bit content, will use that 16bit stream and operate on it, digitally. In regards to upconverting, most equipment doesn't do that, and when it does, does it poorly, as upconversion is a resource-intensive task requiring higher internal resolution as well.

In short, no, losses in fidelity start immediately, and by -48dB you just lost 8bits out of 16bits you had. Apply volume control as late as possible, by configuring properly your analog amplifier/preamp, not by decimating bit-depth in digital domain.