Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server
(02-Sep-2014, 21:27)ThierryNK Wrote: Hi everybody

Are you sure that "AIR alone" does exist? Or is it ITunes that "plays" and AIR is in charge of transfer?

It is now "clear" from Devialet Website who does what:
http://en.devialet.com/technology/devialet-air-en/

The new Devialet AIR Wi-Fi streamer lets you play your music in bit perfect mode. This mode is for users who play high-resolution files (superior to CD format). It avoids having your computer’s operating system alter your music file’s sampling frequency before transmitting it to your Devialet.

This mode depends on the audio architecture used by your computer. Access is therefore different for Mac and Windows.

With Mac, it is guaranteed automatically from iTunes when the "Bit perfect" option is enabled in the Devialet AIR application’s settings.

With Windows Vista, it can also be accessed automatically from several audio players by selecting WASAPI as the audio outlet in your player’s settings. These include free players such as Foobar 2000, Winamp and XBMC or commercial players such as JRiver, Adobe Audition, JPlay. This is not the case for iTunes with Windows or Windows Media Player, on the other hand.

It is always possible to play in bit perfect mode manually by adjusting the sampling frequency in the Devialet AIR application’s settings as needed for the format of the files you want to play.

For those interested (just send me an email) I can provide an article written by a real time computing expert that explains what I had difficulties to make clear in previous posts. The article is in French and is a bit "technical" but can be read and understood if spending the necessary time.

Cheers
Thierry

Thierry,

Yes, you're quite right AIR never works just on its own, of course, there must always be a player as well Smile

With A+ I was only thinking about the case of it running on a Mac. This is where several of us have had problems enabling A+ functionality like Integer Mode so A+ is only 'working with' AIR in a limited way. The information about how AIR works from the Devialet site is only high level - it doesn't really explain what AIR works at a lower level which is the interesting part or whether/how it works with Players other than iTunes on an iMac Smile
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)

Messages In This Thread
CuBox - by Kunter - 31-Aug-2014, 13:49
RE: Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server - by PhilP - 02-Sep-2014, 21:43