Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server
(03-Sep-2014, 10:02)IanG-UK Wrote: So, sorry to be a pain in the a***, but if one has a source, be it a laptop (with screen and cd ripper and data) or a CD player/transport (with discs), both of which will plug straight into the Devialet, what does the D1 do (aside from any sound quality considerations) that the straight connections cannot achieve? Because here you surely need four units - source, cd ripper, tablet and D1?

You're not being a pain! Smile

All my music is stored on a QNAP NAS. In order to access it I need a device to pull from it and send to my Devialet... why is that? Because the Devialet doesn't support UPnP and has its own proprietary streaming solution: AIR which relies on running a Mac or a PC to stream your music. I would rather not use my laptop to play my music - at the moment my Macbook Air sits in my study connected to a large screen and with an external keyboard and is used for a wide range of activities including work and running this forum! Wink.

Whereas my NAS is always on and does its stuff in the background including RAID 5 backups. If one of the drives fails (which has already happened once)... no problems I just replace it and don't lose any data. It's the same NAS that also supplies music data to my living room (via a Linn Majik DSI) and bathroom. It's the "heart" of my music network.

So the d1 plays the same role as my current MiND 180 but with substantially better Sound Quality. It connects my Devialet to this network. The fact that it can decode DSD, can reclock other inputs is a bonus.

The way I like to play music is by using my iPad or iPhone to select tracks and press play whilst sitting in my listening room. It always works and I never have to worry about computers and IT. And knowing that I am getting the best sound possible is a bonus Cool

I don't expect everyone else to use the same setup, the beauty of the Devialet surely lies in its versatility... some prefer to use CD players, others like to stream and some even prefer playing LPs on a turntable! It's all good. Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK

Messages In This Thread
CuBox - by Kunter - 31-Aug-2014, 13:49
RE: Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server - by GuillaumeB - 03-Sep-2014, 10:24