Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server
(08-Sep-2014, 22:17)PhilP Wrote: Ok, I tried to understand the post on the French forum which explains how AIR works (according to a Devialet engineer). I used Google translate but as is often the case the output is not always perfect English Wink so I made some changes. My French is certainly not perfect ...

"AIR transmits stored data and not a digital audio stream...

AIR transmits only the audio portion of digital audio files removing metadata, data length, and associated files. It sends only one format of file (presumably WAV - my comment). The computer decompresses compressed formats and transcodes as necessary.. The file is then transmitted in packets with a buffer at the start and the finish, speed controlled by the Devialet. AIR works only with bi-directional connections with flow control and the ability to re-issue a lost frame." For them (Devialet) 'bit exact' is to find all of the information stored in the audio file.

There's then a discussion about how if AIR is bit-perfect then no other way to transmit an audio file can be more bit-perfect. Hence philloouu's comment about no need for a Totaldac.

As I said before, I think the Totaldac is still very interesting if you want to use a steamer rather than a computer source and Guillaume and Rufus clearly preferred it using AES/EBU to AIR so I don't think we have the whole story yet Wink

Philip

Hi Philip
Thanks for your comments.
- Many people think that the sound with Totaldac is better
- Many people see differences with Air using different softwares
This is strange if we think that Devialet is taking care of everything once the file is in wave format...
So for me the discussion is not closed yet... and most probably nobody is wrong.

Regarding of rather using a NAS than a computer, I think this is not really different as a NAS is a computer and in both case you can control everyhing with a tablet/phone.

Rgds
philoouu

Messages In This Thread
CuBox - by Kunter - 31-Aug-2014, 13:49
RE: Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server - by philoouu - 09-Sep-2014, 01:01