Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server
Given the description of the way AIR works and the fact the data are transmitted via TCP/IP I would be very surprised if the data sent from the buffer in the Devialet to the DAC are not bit perfect. But I don't think we should get too hung up on the bit perfect point as that may well not be why AIR sounds different to the Totaldac.

People have reported hearing differences between ethernet cables even in situations where router logs have shown zero packet errors and zero discards so the reason for the differences is not in the data. Many have suggested that the cause is probably the ethernet cable introducing RF interference into the receiving device. It's likely that different cables and devices in heterogeneous environments interact in different ways which is possibly why some people hear differences between cables in their systems and others don't. The ideal would be to stop/reduce the RFI getting into the receiving device and this can be done using shielded cable or ferrite beads or go to the extreme lengths that Totaldac have done with their ethernet cable.

RFI could also get into a device via its Wi-Fi antennae so even that method is not immune.

Oops sorry I have to stop there as I'm late for an apptmt.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)

Messages In This Thread
CuBox - by Kunter - 31-Aug-2014, 13:49
RE: Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server - by PhilP - 09-Sep-2014, 15:24