Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server
(09-Sep-2014, 17:53)f1eng Wrote:
(09-Sep-2014, 08:40)Confused Wrote: I don't see any conflict between the notion that AIR is bit 100% perfect and Guillaume and Rufus finding sound quality benefits with the Totaldac. I think the key point here is that the Totaldac works best with AES/EBU, when it is replacing the clocking functions as performed by the Devialets asynchronous DAC. Via AIR / USB the Devialet takes over the clocking function. So the logical conclusion would be that the Totaldac's clocking ability is superior to AIR, and hence demonstrates sound quality benefits via AES/EBU or maybe SPDIF. Via USB, this benefit is lost.

Well put. That is the most plausible explanation I can think of too.

I wouldn't disagree though other factors obviously impact the sound via both routes including, as I mentioned above, RFI interference.

I only got part way though my previous post. I was going to go through all the possible sources of differences in sound but had to run of to a meeting. I didn't mean to imply that cables were the main source of the difference in sound - just that they are one factor to be considered.

If clocking is the main reason for the difference in sound between AIR and Totaldac AES/EBU and both mechanisms provide bit-perfect data to the DAC then the implication is that Devialet's buffering and re-clocking of AIR-transported data is sub-optimal. If so, I'm very surprised that Devialet would have made that compromise given that AIR is one of their flagship technologies. And it sounds pretty good to me anyway Smile
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)

Messages In This Thread
CuBox - by Kunter - 31-Aug-2014, 13:49
RE: Mac AIR v MiND 180 v Auralic ARIES v totaldac d1 server - by PhilP - 09-Sep-2014, 19:58