Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker placement methods
(31-Jan-2016, 13:40)Pim van Vliet Wrote: I bought Jim Smith's 'Get Better Sound' book. It runs through everything audio but mostly speaker and listening seat (just as important) placement. It's a method, not a calculation he uses and that's because every room, regardless of equal size, has a different acoustic.

It requires a lot of measuring and putting tape on the floor but the end result for me was quite dramatic. The first time I used the method was with my 25+ year old B&W DM14 speakers and old Denon amp. The results blew me away. I basically came to the conclusion that I had wasted all those years listening to a not so bad system in a really bad way.

I've been to a couple of very high end shops where I ended up sitting behind or leaning forward in the listening seat that, supposedly, was set up for maximum sound quality. I found the bass too boomy in both circumstances. And I like a bit of extra bass. Anyway, that shows me that those shops use a different method in setting up than I do. Which one is right I guess will always be a personal thing.

i can't recommend Jim Smiths GBS enough - it is a methodology rather than a fixed system - the cardas golden ratio has not proved to be the shits in my room - GBS (with some sweat and effort) was - it may end up that the results using GBS coincide with another system but then it is coincidence 

for the money (yes and your time) there is not better dollar spent than GBS

Messages In This Thread
Speaker placement methods - by thumb5 - 31-Jan-2016, 10:39
RE: Speaker placement methods - by Pim - 31-Jan-2016, 13:40
RE: Speaker placement methods - by colonel66 - 31-Jan-2016, 16:07
RE: Speaker placement methods - by Pim - 31-Jan-2016, 16:34
RE: Speaker placement methods - by Cylob - 31-Jan-2016, 16:49