Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mutec MC-3+ USB
(02-Aug-2016, 11:03)teddlesdee Wrote: Guys,

Do you think that the Mutec + USB would add/ improve my setup? Currently I am running with an Aurender N100H as source to USB!

Any thoughts?

If you want a short answer, I'd say yes, almost certainly, and even if I'm wrong, you can buy the Mutec with a 30 day return deal.  So it is fairly low risk, if you hate it, you can send it back.

As a more considered response, the Mutec offers two benefits.  One is that you end up using the AES/EBU input of the Devialet rather than the USB, this should improve sound quality, secondly you get the benefits of the re-clocking.  As I have posted in the past, I have noticed a slight drop in the definition of the bass when using the USB input.  Not just with my current microRendu but also when auditioning a Melco N1Z.  However, running the microRendu via the Mutec, this issue has gone.  It occurs to me that you could experiment with this yourself without spending anything.  I note that you have a Moon CD player that has AES/EBU output?  Why not select a favourite track, something with decent deep well defined bass, try it on the Moon via AES/EBU, then via the Aurender, and see if you can pick up the difference with the bass.  If you can, I would say the Melco will mitigate this, as well as offering much more.

Also, for the sake of argument you could say that an N100H's USB output is probably fairly similar to that achieved from a microRendu.  For me I find that if comparing the microRendu direct to the Devialet vs microRendu + Mutec to Devialet, the latter is better in all areas.  Clearer, sharper, but at the same time sounding more realistic, a neat trick!  Soundstage is better, the bass issue I mentioned is gone.  In summary though, I'll keep it simple, last weekend I did a fair bit of casual listening with the microRendu + Mutec, it sounded great, un-fatiguing and quite simply a very good listen, I enjoyed it!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(02-Aug-2016, 12:55)Confused Wrote:

Do you think that the Mutec + USB would add/ improve my setup? Currently I am running with an Aurender N100H as source to USB!

Any thoughts?

If you want a short answer, I'd say yes, almost certainly, and even if I'm wrong, you can buy the Mutec with a 30 day return deal.  So it is fairly low risk, if you hate it, you can send it back.

As a more considered response, the Mutec offers two benefits.  One is that you end up using the AES/EBU input of the Devialet rather than the USB, this should improve sound quality, secondly you get the benefits of the re-clocking.  As I have posted in the past, I have noticed a slight drop in the definition of the bass when using the USB input.  Not just with my current microRendu but also when auditioning a Melco N1Z.  However, running the microRendu via the Mutec, this issue has gone.  It occurs to me that you could experiment with this yourself without spending anything.  I note that you have a Moon CD player that has AES/EBU output?  Why not select a favourite track, something with decent deep well defined bass, try it on the Moon via AES/EBU, then via the Aurender, and see if you can pick up the difference with the bass.  If you can, I would say the Melco will mitigate this, as well as offering much more.

Also, for the sake of argument you could say that an N100H's USB output is probably fairly similar to that achieved from a microRendu.  For me I find that if comparing the microRendu direct to the Devialet vs microRendu + Mutec to Devialet, the latter is better in all areas.  Clearer, sharper, but at the same time sounding more realistic, a neat trick!  Soundstage is better, the bass issue I mentioned is gone.  In summary though, I'll keep it simple, last weekend I did a fair bit of casual listening with the microRendu + Mutec, it sounded great, un-fatiguing and quite simply a very good listen, I enjoyed it!

Interesting....
Only fly I can see is that the CD player as you mention is using the same port so presumably I would have to sacrifice or keep swapping?
I know there is obviously another AES/EBU port on the slave, but not sure is that can be used as a second one?

Update: Appears you can't have the slave AES enabled as it then swaps the slave digital connection between amps.. hmmmm!
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
The comparison I proposed above is clearly USB vs AES, so no issue there. I presume you are referring to the potential future problem of having the Mutec via AES as well as your CD player via AES? One solution here is to simply run your CD player through the Mutec. So two for the price of one, an improved Aurender and a better CD player. Happy days!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(02-Aug-2016, 15:31)Confused Wrote: The comparison I proposed above is clearly USB vs AES, so no issue there.  I presume you are referring to the potential future problem of having the Mutec via AES as well as your CD player via AES?  One solution here is to simply run your CD player through the Mutec.  So two for the price of one, an improved Aurender and a better CD player.  Happy days!

AhA!
Well done that man!

[Image: thumb-up-smiley.png]

Hope that's big enough for you!
Big Grin
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.

Any thoughts?

Hi teddlesdee,

I have the same source as yours which is Aurender N100H and I am using Mutec + USB recently.
The improvement is significant. The sound is more organic and a layer of 'digital' haze is removed.
You do need a decent AES/EBU cable. And try experiment on the right footers for further improvement.
440 Pro, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 Digital cable, Plixir Elite BAC 3000 Power Conditioner, Plixir The Statement Balanced Power Cord
Rega RP10, Melco N1-S38, Melco S100 Audiophile Dataswitch, ADOT MC01, Diva Audio & 7N-4030 Leggenda Power Cords, Plixir BDC LPS, Habst Ultra III USB cable, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 AES/EBU cable, Mutec REF 10, Habst Digital BNC cable
Vivid Giya G4, Acrolink 7N-S1400 Leggenda Speaker cables
PSI AVAA C20 Active Bass Trap
bFly-audio Master, Cube, b.Disc Absorbers
Artnovion Andrea Absorbers
(02-Aug-2016, 18:11)Sharone Wrote:

Any thoughts?

Hi teddlesdee,

I have the same source as yours which is Aurender N100H and I am using Mutec + USB recently.
The improvement is significant. The sound is more organic and a layer of 'digital' haze is removed.
You do need a decent AES/EBU cable. And try experiment on the right footers for further improvement.

Hi Sharone,

I have a dilemma. I have an Aurender N100H. I like his warm sound, but lack of details and soundstage. Air 3 for Mac gives me the details and the soundstage but don't have a warm sound. Does the Mutec-3+ USB will give me the positive sides of Devialet and the Aurender? Does the Mutec gives a superior sound than Devialet Air 3 pre release candidate for Mac?
Devialet 800. Dynaudio Focus 340. Transparent MusicWave Super speaker cable. Rega P3 turntable. Naim NAT05 XS with Flatcap XS.
In my latest email reply from Christian Peters, CEO of Mutec, he told me:
In Autumn/Winter our ultra-low noise 10 MHz reference clock will be released which helps to enhance the audiophile sound quality of the MC-3+USB and other e.g. DACs .
Should be worth a listen when it comes out!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
[quote pid='46892' dateline='1470161000']
I have a dilemma. I have an Aurender N100H. I like his warm sound, but lack of details and soundstage. Air 3 for Mac gives me the details and the soundstage but don't have a warm sound. Does the Mutec-3+ USB will give me the positive sides of Devialet and the Aurender? Does the Mutec gives a superior sound than Devialet Air 3 pre release candidate for Mac?
[/quote]

see my post #118...it's Air for Windows, but I think it will not be much different than Air for Mac.
(02-Aug-2016, 19:03)Beajuju Wrote:
(02-Aug-2016, 18:11)Sharone Wrote:

Any thoughts?

Hi teddlesdee,

Hi Sharone,

Hi Beajuju,

To be honest, i find the Aurender N100H sound a bit warm and on the syrupy side on its own.
This is something I realise after buying it. Nevertheless the conductor app interface is good and able to link with Tidal is a plus.

As for details, Mutec-3 + USB can enhance the details. Perhaps it is due to the AES/EBU usage which may be more superior input than USB for Deviate.

For soundstage, i find improvement when using Curious USB cable.
Note that this is based on my setup and listening preference and perspective.

For me, I prefer a neutral, natural sounding system. Mutec-3 + USB helps me achieve that which l believe is a limitation for USB based interface. Hope this helps.
440 Pro, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 Digital cable, Plixir Elite BAC 3000 Power Conditioner, Plixir The Statement Balanced Power Cord
Rega RP10, Melco N1-S38, Melco S100 Audiophile Dataswitch, ADOT MC01, Diva Audio & 7N-4030 Leggenda Power Cords, Plixir BDC LPS, Habst Ultra III USB cable, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 AES/EBU cable, Mutec REF 10, Habst Digital BNC cable
Vivid Giya G4, Acrolink 7N-S1400 Leggenda Speaker cables
PSI AVAA C20 Active Bass Trap
bFly-audio Master, Cube, b.Disc Absorbers
Artnovion Andrea Absorbers
(02-Aug-2016, 15:31)Confused Wrote: The comparison I proposed above is clearly USB vs AES, so no issue there.  I presume you are referring to the potential future problem of having the Mutec via AES as well as your CD player via AES?  One solution here is to simply run your CD player through the Mutec.  So two for the price of one, an improved Aurender and a better CD player.  Happy days!

OK, have bit the bullet - Mutec on order!
Chris is certainly a 'Go-To' guy, really refreshing!
Have two questions:

Since I will now need another AES cable, are there any suggestions without going overboard cost-wise?
Current one on the CD player is an Audioquest Coffee.

I note that Axel said that Chris had emailed him saying:
"In Autumn/Winter our ultra-low noise 10 MHz reference clock will be released which helps to enhance the audiophile sound quality of the MC-3+USB and other e.g. DACs "

Does this mean our purchase is perhaps a little 'premature'?
I realise that buying electronic equipment is often a bit of a dilemma especially when you know there may be something in the pipeline that might be better round the corner! (topically highlighted by some O'dtA purchasers finding out about Le1000 afterwards!) Sad

Thoughts would be welcome...