Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mutec MC-3+ USB
Minidsp 22d has optical, coax and aes input and output. I wish it had USB input and output as well.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
(18-Feb-2017, 01:48)sam1000 Wrote: Ordered MC3+USB and sms200.
Will I give up any benefits of this combo if I add minidsp 22d in the chain?

Hi,

What are the benefits you were expecting from the minidsp 22d ? Is it for applying convolution of room correction impulses ?

If yes, I would rather suggest you have a look at this piece of software which seems to fit well into your architecture: http://convofs.net/introduction.html#what-is-convofs

It is supposed to create a virtual file system, which applies the convolution impulses to the music files before they are streamed by TinySqueeze. Seems awesome on the paper.

I have not tested it though, as the convolution process is made in my system inside HQPlayer on a MacMini.
Hi
I just received my mutec, and connect to my sotm sms-200 and 220 Pro. This improves the playback of PCM noticeably. But for DSD playback, I slightly prefer the sound of 220 Pro's DSD MAT engine.
Anyone has the same experience, and how you config you mutec for better result ?
Roon HQP > sotm sms-200 > mutec (Cybershaft) > 220 Pro > Cardas Cygnus > Avalon IDEA
Denali 2000T
As previously discussed the Mutec converts DSD to PCM so doesn't do pass through. There's not much to configure except the sample rate DSD is converted to. 176.4 would be best so you can check for that if you haven't done that yet.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(15-Mar-2017, 09:32)Antoine Wrote: As previously discussed the Mutec converts DSD to PCM so doesn't do pass through. There's not much to configure except the sample rate DSD is converted to. 176.4 would be best so you can check for that if you haven't done that yet.
Thx, after some trial and error, and observe the sample rate at Devialet, I got what u mean and how it works now.

I just compare the DSD to PCM conversion by Roon vs mutec, and I prefer mutec. And up sampling PCM signal by Roon is nice too.

So I end up with Roon config with cusomter up sampling all PCM to 176 or 192, and DSD untouched for mutec to convert to PCM.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Roon HQP > sotm sms-200 > mutec (Cybershaft) > 220 Pro > Cardas Cygnus > Avalon IDEA
Denali 2000T
(15-Mar-2017, 16:09)Kwan Wrote:
(15-Mar-2017, 09:32)Antoine Wrote: As previously discussed the Mutec converts DSD to PCM so doesn't do pass through. There's not much to configure except the sample rate DSD is converted to. 176.4 would be best so you can check for that if you haven't done that yet.
Thx, after some trial and error, and observe the sample rate at Devialet, I got what u mean and how it works now.

I just compare the DSD to PCM conversion by Roon vs mutec, and I prefer mutec. And up sampling PCM signal by Roon is nice too.

So I end up with Roon config with cusomter up sampling all PCM to 176 or 192, and DSD untouched for  mutec to convert to PCM.

You need to add 3db of digital headroom upsampling PCM or you will get clipping.  As soon as you turn on headroom management your DSD will be converted.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/DSP_Engine:_Headroom_Management
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Thx, and will give it a try.
Read through the thread and saw some says the previous mc-3 can pass through DoP to AES without convert to PCM, is there anyway to do the same in mc-3+ USB ? I'm thinking about a config option change, a firmware update, or even a custom firmware, which can disable the conversion of DoP 64 to PCM.
This maybe quite specific for Devialet as I find its DSD MAT Engine sounds really great, maybe due to the 40/384 floating point, which is superior to the 24/192 PCM signal through AES.

Denali 2000T
Try HQPlayer doing the pcm up-converting and converting DSD to pcm. Put your SMS-200 into NAA mode to receive direct from HQPlayer and let the Mutec just reclock.

Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(16-Mar-2017, 04:20)Dr Tone Wrote: Try HQPlayer doing the pcm up-converting and converting DSD to pcm. Put your SMS-200 into NAA mode to receive direct from HQPlayer and let the Mutec just reclock.

Good idea, this could be the best result we can get with existing resource and design.

I have also send mutec this question, hope that they can add the option to skip the conversion and output DoP through AES.

Actually there is other equipment that accept DoP transmission over AES / SPDIF, so I believe I'm not alone.

Denali 2000T
Just to share my test result of different combination of Roon / HQP / mutec usage with my Devialet.

AB tested (again) among below config :
1. Roon RAAT streaming to sms-200 -> mutec -> Devialet AES input, Roon DSP disabled
2. Roon RAAT streaming to sms-200 -> mutec -> Devialet AES input, Roon DSP upsample to power of 2 for PCM, DSD inact (let mutec do the down sampling to PCM)
3. Roon + HQP NAA stream to sms-200 -> mutec -> Devialet AES input, HQP upsample PCM to 176/192, downsample DSD to 176  (so mutec just re-colock, no DSD to PCM conversion)
4. Room + Air, Roon DSP disabled
5. Roon RAAT streaming to sms-200 -> Devialet USB input (for DSD playback and decode by its MAT DSD core)

Air always give a relax / pleasant sound, regardless of up sampling or not, if not doing AB test or serious listening, I may settle with it.
Whenever up sampling is used, HQP always win Roon DSP, although Roon DSP is not bad
Whenever there is DSD conversion to PCM, the performance from best to worst is :
1. Devialet MAT DSD core conversion
2. mutec on PAR with HQP, to my ear and gear, they are slightly diff style, so some may pick one over another.
4. Roon DSP, although Roon DSP is not bad

For PCM playback, config 1 & 3 are the best to me, mutec / AES input play an important role here, whether up sample or not.
For DSD playback, config 5 is the best to me, I guess the MAT DSD convesrion in 40/384 floating point overcome the AES 24/192 limitation, but the sound style is also closer to USB input, and farther away from AES's style. config 2 & 3 are on PAR and take the 2nd best together, HQP is a little more on extension and details, and mutec a little more on texture and body.

Hope this won't be too complicated ^^:
Denali 2000T