Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Master and companion digital connections
(03-Mar-2016, 13:11)Antoine Wrote: 5-6 months? You'll have plenty of time to read much about computer audio then, and there's a lot to read. Smile

I've tried it all, well a lot, you can read all about it in my topic if you follow the link in my signature. One painful conclusion for me has been that both the USB and ethernet/WiFi interfaces inside the Devialet will not give you the best SQ. (before coming to that conclusion I already found out USB clearly outperforms ethernet if one uses an optimized server, even when using a dedicated Intel server NIC and the Audioquest ethernet Diamond which I've also tried.)

Like Jan/Gentleman I've finally settled (well for now, things are moving really fast in this computer audio area! Smile) with a DIY Windows Server 2012 music server with all kinds of improvements and the Mutec MC-3+ USB which is connected to the AES/EBU input of the Devialet. A lot of it is inspired by the work of people at the forums of computeraudiophile.com and jplay.eu. This'll save one a lot of time instead of trying to reinvent the wheel by yourself. What you'll probabably find out that it's not a matter of bigger, better and faster (like the "100gbit/s" NIC you mention) but rather minimizing noise and sources of jitter through lean&mean HQ components and software/operating systems, clean power supplies, careful grounding and applying the right isolation between components.

Wow, thanks for your detailed response!
I'll take my time to read the entire thread, since my english is not perfect and it takes some time to understand everything perfectly.

Yes, 5-6 months is a lot of time to read and learn, but I like to know what I'm buying, because is hard to me to make that kind of money, and a high end listening room is my dream acquisition (even more than an exotic car for example).

What I like about forums is that you can know what things are the best/worst, make a list and test it. You end testing 3 or 4 products instead of the entire store, because thanks to the users feedback and info you're looking always in the right direction, plus, I'm the kind of person that buys one time, I like to buy the best I can and forget about upgrading, because I think that one ends spending more money upgrading things constantly than buying a really nice product at first.

Have a nice day, I'll post my impressions when my setup is complete

Messages In This Thread
RE: Master and companion digital connections - by InspectorBudget - 03-Mar-2016, 14:27