Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilson Audio speakers & SAM
(31-Oct-2016, 09:29)octaviars Wrote: Have you tried to have SAM on but set it to 0%? I think I have seen some say the phase control is activ at 0% but you dont get the boost in the bass. No idea if this is correct.

Yes this is absolutely  correct: with SAM at 0% all the phase benefits, the excursion protection of the woofer as well as the thermal protection is there. Only the bass extension is zeroed.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Just happened across here after posting an off-topic comment on my own "Phantom Gold in HiFi Choice" thread!

I have just acquired PMC 25.23, and I'm very disappointed with SAM on them, compared to my old XTZ speakers. After much random toggling i.e. not knowing if it was ON or OFF until checking at the end, I always preferred them without. But reading on here, I should probably try out some much lower SAM% settings before discounting it completely.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
For no good reason I just assumed 100% SAM would be best as Ibwanted 'more' bass, but having measured I've got a room node that doesn't appreciate more low bass and it just muddies things up and makes it boomy. But it's not always obvious to hear to be honest, it's just a sense of something not being right. Depends on the music too but with the facts and my room, SAM 0-15% works best but it's subtle and I sometimes just turn it off.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Anymore Sam comments on or off if on what level ? Currently with my Sasha's Sam is off completely I do find when on it messes with the clarity of the Wilsons !
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha
Onkyo Cd transport via aes/ebu
Direct Drive Turntable Micro Benz Gold MC Cartridge
2 x Shunyata Sigma Digital Power Cord
Transparent Super MM2 Speaker Cable
(12-Feb-2017, 11:12)egg1dog Wrote: Anymore Sam comments on or off if on what level ? Currently with my Sasha's Sam is off completely I do find when on it messes with the clarity of the Wilsons !

Still off for me.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2