Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any B&W 802 D3 users ?
(30-Mar-2016, 15:15)Frnch Wrote:
(30-Mar-2016, 12:09)audio_engr Wrote:
(30-Mar-2016, 08:27)Frnch Wrote: Hi

I do have 802 D3 since November 2015, very happy with it, any point in particular you want to discuss?

F

I am very new here on this Forum. I'm awaiting the arrival of my 802d3 + D400. I had been using the 802 since 1990 and had the Matrix 802 S2 but sadly lost 'em in the April 2015 devastating earthquake in Nepal where I was stationed, working with UN. Now that I've moved to West Africa very recently, its a brandnew start for me... once again. 

My room is 18-Ft wide x 30-Ft long with 9-Ft ceilings. The new 802d3 should work in this room I feel.

Congratulation it is a great combination, just be prepare for a long burn in process with the 802 D3, it took me a long time to get them to their full potential, associate them with nice cables and change the original jumpers after few weeks, Nordost reference work great for me , then I promise you will not regret your choice.

Have fun!

F

Thanks for the tip ...

Before the earthquake wiped out my gear, I had the Metronome Kalista Ref CD Transport, Accuphase DC-901 DAC, FM Acoustics 255MK2 pre, Symphonic Line Kraft 300 Stereo pwr amp, XLO Sig-5.2 biwire cables, Kubala Sosna Emotion ICs, pneumatic stuff for the vibration and other power accessories + 5000+ discs. 

I lost quite a bit of the hardware but the rest will be mated back with the 802 D3 and D400. 

Bowers & Wilkins insider tech friends that I know well from the last 30 yrs tell me that 1000 hrs will open up the speakers. 

so, am patiently waiting for the delivery boys' ...
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(30-Mar-2016, 09:28)Frnch Wrote:
(30-Mar-2016, 08:33)fraserhadden Wrote: I would be interested to know the size of your room and the spacing of the back and sides of the speakers from your walls.

I have a 21' x 14' space and could manage maybe 2' from the side walls and 3' from the rear. Good enough?

Fraser

My room is 10m x 6m, I believe your room is big enough for the 802 D3, B&W recommend a minimum of 0.5m from the side and the rear so 2' and 3' is ok. You may also want to consider also the volume of the room taking in consideration ceiling high before choosing in the 800 family.

F

Thank you for this. It is difficult (for me) to factor in the likely effect of room height. Mine is the UK 'standard' of, I think, 8.5' so this boundary is at least 4' from the speaker top. I also hope that B&W, being a UK firm, would have designed with my sort of room height at least vaguely in mind, as room height is the least variable room dimension.

Fraser
We have tried the 802D3's in our room with LE440's and a Melco Z1-H.

Room is 15' x 16' with low(ish) ceiling and a suspended floor.

Bass is well controlled and full, imaging very good, resolution is spectacular.

We pay particular attention to the distance of the loudspeakers from the rear wall (gives us accurate phase between the speakers). Once the sweet spot from the rear wall is established, we use a little toe in to focus the central image to taste.  We are pretty close to the side walls 18" which does not seem to be an issue with 802's.

I did add a set of Stillpoints Ultra 5 isolation feet to the 802s, which gave (cliché) 'air' to the sound.

Just about to wheel in the 800D3s for a blast!

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
(01-Oct-2016, 13:26)Martins Hi-Fi Wrote: We have tried the 802D3's in our room with LE440's and a Melco Z1-H.

Room is 15' x 16' with low(ish) ceiling and a suspended floor.

Bass is well controlled and full, imaging very good, resolution is spectacular.

We pay particular attention to the distance of the loudspeakers from the rear wall (gives us accurate phase between the speakers). Once the sweet spot from the rear wall is established, we use a little toe in to focus the central image to taste.  We are pretty close to the side walls 18" which does not seem to be an issue with 802's.

I did add a set of Stillpoints Ultra 5 isolation feet to the 802s, which gave (cliché) 'air' to the sound.

Just about to wheel in the 800D3s for a blast!

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Great to hear your success with the 440 Pro. 

Now that you're to swap the 802-D3 with 800-D3 in the same room (I presume), are you still continuing with 440 Pro or you move to 1000 Pro ?
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Will continue with 440 Pro for now and see how they pair up. 800D3 is remarkably easy to drive but not so easy to flatter!

Will add update when time allows.
(01-Oct-2016, 16:17)Martins Hi-Fi Wrote: Will continue with 440 Pro for now and see how they pair up. 800D3 is remarkably easy to drive but not so easy to flatter!

Now that you have had a little time with the D440 pro, have you any thoughts on it vs D400?

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(01-Oct-2016, 18:07)brit Wrote:
(01-Oct-2016, 16:17)Martins Hi-Fi Wrote: Will continue with 440 Pro for now and see how they pair up. 800D3 is remarkably easy to drive but not so easy to flatter!

Now that you have had a little time with the D440 pro, have you any thoughts on it vs D400?

David

+1 ... 

@ Martins Hi-Fi ....................    I'd be keen to hear this ...  Smile
They are in our room as I type (running it in). Sounding sweet.
I bought my 802 D3 & Le 400 in April 2016 and upon running them approx. 1000 hrs, I setup them up in my 5.8 metres wide X 9.15 metres long room. Details of the setup with pictures are here 
http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3095

As you'll notice that there's ample room for the loudspeakers to breathe, I was wondering what and how I should address the issue to undue heaviness around 50Hz to 150Hz in spite SAM doing its job for the B&W 802 D3. 

Weeks passed and I got busy changing the Digital Link between the Master & Companion from stock to RCA-AES/EBU that brought about a good measure of focus. 

My next upgrade was addressing vibrations of the Devialets. I went about the path of applying 'magnetic levitation' footers (custom built @ 50% depression for Le 200 weight) under each Devialet that would allow the units to decouple and float in air. 

My jaw dropped once I had the footers setup under each Devialet and gone is the undue heaviness that kinda held things ... 

The 802 D3s are now sprinting up on their feet and sure .. when deep bass comes thru, you hear it perfectly but otherwise, the PRAT is just soooo perfect now !!

This is one helluva achievement towards nirvana IMHO ... 

Hence .. I decided to talk about it ...  Smile

[img][Image: IMG_0559_1.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: IMG_0560_1.jpg][/img]

P.S.  :  Whilst the bottom part cleaned up, the mids became much more glorious and the HF opened up even more with a greater sense of air ...
Why using Jumpers?

Use some decent cable and have it bi-wired