Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes
(04-Apr-2016, 18:00)Confused Wrote: Also, it occurs to me that a simple solution would be to use a Mac of some sort, maybe with SSD, linear PSU, then USB to a Mutec MC3+USB, XLR to the Devialet.  I'm sure this would work (although F1eng had issues with a Mac + Mutec combo), but I am not sure if it would match a Melco or similar.  (does anyone know how good the SQ might be with this set up?)

But is there a better way?  What would be the ultimate solution?

I think this is completely the right approach to take. You know that iTunes is the interface that you would like to use (for a variety of reasons previously discussed on this forum) and therefore any attempt at optimising it and its output will yield some decent benefits. The fact that another non-iTunes solution exists out there at a comparable price or with better SQ is moot quite frankly. 

I just don't think you're going to be happy with either a Melco or Aurender, certainly not the Melco with the current range of OpenHome control points. Of course we still don't know what the Melco app will look like but I'd be very surprised if it included in its first iteration support for track ratings, for instance. Of course the Aurender is worth exploring, but again I don't think you will have the flexibility and control (and comfort level!) of iTunes. Or JRiver for that matter.

I think control points are quite personal things, and if iTunes suits you, then just focus on getting the best sound from that. There is plenty to do!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes - by GuillaumeB - 05-Apr-2016, 10:04