Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes
(05-Apr-2016, 10:04)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(04-Apr-2016, 18:00)Confused Wrote: Also, it occurs to me that a simple solution would be to use a Mac of some sort, maybe with SSD, linear PSU, then USB to a Mutec MC3+USB, XLR to the Devialet.  I'm sure this would work (although F1eng had issues with a Mac + Mutec combo), but I am not sure if it would match a Melco or similar.  (does anyone know how good the SQ might be with this set up?)

But is there a better way?  What would be the ultimate solution?

I think this is completely the right approach to take. You know that iTunes is the interface that you would like to use (for a variety of reasons previously discussed on this forum) and therefore any attempt at optimising it and its output will yield some decent benefits. The fact that another non-iTunes solution exists out there at a comparable price or with better SQ is moot quite frankly. 

I just don't think you're going to be happy with either a Melco or Aurender, certainly not the Melco with the current range of OpenHome control points. Of course we still don't know what the Melco app will look like but I'd be very surprised if it included in its first iteration support for track ratings, for instance. Of course the Aurender is worth exploring, but again I don't think you will have the flexibility and control (and comfort level!) of iTunes. Or JRiver for that matter.

I think control points are quite personal things, and if iTunes suits you, then just focus on getting the best sound from that. There is plenty to do!

Guillaume
Wise words Guillaume!  But you do need to understand that my little brain needs to process ALL aspects of this one.  The control point is very important, but so is sound quality.  Would I compromise SQ for the control point?  Maybe, but I would need to fully understand by how much.  (which would require knowing how a tricked up Mac + Melco would sound vs say an N1Z, not an easy thing to establish)  Plus there are so many options, for example the CAD CAT could run iTunes, Roon, or anything else you wanted.  Although iTunes will always be compromised in the Windows environment.  (I did try iTunes / JPlay a while back, and got stuck with the ISO bridge or whatever it was, ran out of time, never bothered with it again, I must have another go at this one)

Then we have news that the Antipodes music server will run the Linux Roon 1.2, and one thing Roon does very nicely is pick up iTunes playlists on start up.  So you could use iTunes to mange your library, smart playlists or whatever saved as iTunes playlists, and your Roon equipped ultimate SQ music server picks them up, all good.

(It's no wonder I'm confused!!)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes - by Confused - 05-Apr-2016, 13:24