Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes
Some interesting posts! Plus even as OP I don't mind that some of this has gone off topic, I am currently finding that if I try to think clearly about music server options and related topics, iTunes, Roon, Microrendu, modded computers, reclockers etc, my brain goes rapidly off topic also.

A few thoughts:

Re Guillaume's comment on CAD CAT pricing "Just checked with Jon: £6300 for 1TB model and £6800 for 2TB... That's squarely in N1Z territory...." This is clearly a statement of fact! All I can say is that maybe the CAD CAT sounds as good as an N1Z, maybe it does not. So clearly a careful audition is required here, but it also occurs to me that the CAD CAT is a minimum of £2800 more than the N1H, that could be stiff opposition in the SQ stakes I suspect.

Then we have Hifi_Swlon comment: "of all your demo options, only one will allow you to use iTunes?". This is also very true! And not only that, I am not sure that running iTunes on a Windows 8 based CAD CAT is a good idea with respect to sound quality. Using PC / iTunes / AIR is a clear SQ deficit to the same with Roon or JRiver. So the CAD CAT option would be a 6K spend that you then knobble with iTunes, not a good idea. But this is where Roon offers a nice solution. One thing Roon does very well is pick up iTunes playlists. So you can spend a bit of time in iTunes setting up whatever playlists you desire. Once done, you have the CAD CAT running full Roon, pretty interface, nice app, lyrics and other fluff AND decent SQ. The same of course would be true of anything that becomes Roon compatible, it's interesting to see the Antipodes now offers Roon, I wonder how many more will follow soon? I think if I could get top SQ and Roon that I'd be happy. Plus, although I do have a few gripes with Roon currently, it is still being developed, so a case of good now, and who knows how good in the future. (Typing this I've just remembered the TotalDac is 'Roon ready', but just as an 'end point' I'm guessing?)

As for CD players, an interesting topic, but here my mind is crystal clear. I do actually have a half decent CD player looking pretty in my rack, and it has not been used for a very long time. I can recall the days of hunting endlessly for the one CD that has to be played now (where is the ###### thing!!), mornings after a great evening, with 27 CD empty cases lying around, but only 25 CD's. Finding a much loved CD, opening the case, nothing in it, I could go on, but you get the point. One thing I am most definitely not going to do is go all in and buy an expensive CD player.

It has to be said though, the options here are endless. My brain is now thinking get a Melco N1A. It offers almost all of the SQ you could get anywhere at a very reasonable price, sit back and enjoy while the world of music servers develops at 100mph.

The other thought in my brain now is that I need to audition a few things to sharpen up my understanding of the performance per £ available currently....

Oh, and then there's that Microrendu widget......
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes - by Confused - 05-Apr-2016, 18:16