Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes
(17-Apr-2016, 12:30)Confused Wrote:
(16-Apr-2016, 21:26)Antoine Wrote: In theory that's true, 'bits are bits', in practice though many experience that bit perfect player software can sound different and even the OS the software runs on makes a difference. (unfortunately, I can't wait for the day this all no longer matters and DAC's are immune to jitter and noise from computers and can work with any level of signal integrity once it crosses the critical treshhold of being bit-perfect...)

One thing I know for sure is that there is a significant difference between the sound quality achieved using iTunes on a PC versus alternatives like JRiver or Roon.  To be honest this baffles me a bit.  It is entirely possible to use iTunes in a bit perfect mode, with volume disabled, matching the settings to the required bit length /rate, WASAPI selected in Quick Time etc.  So if this is bit perfect, why does JRiver and Roon sound so much better?  And it is clearly better, I have tried true blind testing of this with a 100% strike rate.  Why is this?  I haven't got a clue to be honest!

Actually, if you have Quicktime still installed on Windows it should be removed immediately.

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA16-105A
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Messages In This Thread
RE: Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes - by Dr Tone - 17-Apr-2016, 14:08