Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes
(17-Apr-2016, 12:22)Confused Wrote:
(17-Apr-2016, 07:01)tategoi Wrote:
(04-Apr-2016, 22:04)Confused Wrote: I'm not sure if I've interpreted this correctly?  If you are connecting a Melco to a Devialet via Ethernet, this would require AIR to be loaded onto the Melco.  AIR comes in different versions for Windows and Mac, but nothing suitable for a Melco running Linux?

Having said that, a Melco somehow running iTunes would be most excellent for my needs.  I just don't see how it could be done?  I presume impossible?

I believe the new Melco app is coming soon, I will cirtainly be interested to see what that looks like.  But that's something for the Melco thread.

Can we have iTunes Library residing in Melco, and using iTunes as the server to serve digital files to the Devialet via Melco's Player LAN port? 

I'd like to avoid outputting Melco via USB as its isolated Ethernet output is supposed to be far superior.
All of the above would be absolutely splendid I think.  The trouble is I just can't see how it would work, there are multiple issues.  For a start, the Melco runs Linux, so although you could put an iTunes library on a Melco, you could not install iTunes itself.  (or not without great difficulty and instability anyway, say using 'WINE' or similar)

Also, the LAN port is designed to feed a Streamer, and the Devialet is not a streamer.  At best a Devialet could perhaps be considered half of a streamer, but it does require AIR, and AIR needs to be installed on a PC or a MAC, there is no Linux version of AIR.

Both iTunes and AIR are installed on a Mac Mini. With LAN ports of the Melco and the Mac connected to the same router/network, and Player port of the Melco to the Devialet. With AIR turned on, iTunes plays digital files residing in the Melco, and serves them directly from Melco to Devialet via the isolated Player port. In this instance the Melco is operating in Network mode. I wonder if this configuration will work.
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E

Messages In This Thread
RE: Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes - by tategoi - 17-Apr-2016, 14:18