Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internal streamer (Devialet Expert) at the end of 2016
(15-May-2016, 16:59)arcam Wrote:
(15-May-2016, 13:36)iamwappie Wrote: But..... If the TCP protocol is used it is assured that all network packages are received correctly. Put them in a buffer in the receiving device and once full enough stream and play them. So with that reasoning I though bit perfect is bit perfect....

You don't want to use TCP for streaming (due to latency), but RTP/UDP. Retransmission is typically handled in the RTP stack. Different retransmission strategies can be put in place. For example, for video, you don't need to retransmit past frames since they would arrive past their display time. For audio, you don't want to miss any packet or else you will hear glitches.

Why not use TCP? I'd think real time is not desired as we get into the issues we currently have. If I disconnect my Roon instance by pulling out the network cord the devialet also stops playing immediately. So no buffer at all which also means that if there is the slightest non performance of network or the chain involved you have an issue.... I Suppose AIR is suffering from such a problem.

Already said it in another thread here; When I pull the network cable from my Logitech Media Server the squeezebox keeps playing for maybe 20 seconds just from its local buffer, filled by using a trustworthy transmission protocol
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands

Messages In This Thread
RE: Internal streamer (Devialet Expert) at the end of 2016 - by iamwappie - 15-May-2016, 18:55