Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internal streamer (Devialet Expert) at the end of 2016
(15-May-2016, 18:55)iamwappie Wrote: Why not use TCP? I'd think real time is not desired as we get into the issues we currently have. If I disconnect my Roon instance by pulling out the network cord the devialet also stops playing immediately. So no buffer at all which also means that if there is the slightest non performance of network or the chain involved you have an issue.... I Suppose AIR is suffering from such a problem.

TCP could be used, but the advantage with UDP is the sender can just fire out the packets and not care what state the receiver is in - it's stateless. In the case of TCP if a packet is lost then the sender has to resend which means maintaining a buffer of lost segments for every client. There's a lot more overhead to this operation, plus more overhead to actually setting up the connection in the first place . Also in the case of multiple clients the overhead if using TCP increases in proportion to the amount of clients. UDP can be received by multiple devices on the network (devices in several rooms perhaps) with no additional overhead on the sender.

There's a bit more to AIR than just UDP, I seem to recall it has some error checking (and time stamping of some description?) built-in so it does display TCP-like behaviour but using UDP as a basis.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Internal streamer (Devialet Expert) at the end of 2016 - by Rufus McDufus - 15-May-2016, 19:53