Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations
I'll believe it all when I've heard it myself. Smile All I know now: drop outs are NOT acceptable for a device I paid more than €13k for, when my network is not at fault.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Well, I put my money where Guillaume's mouth is (I mean this in a nice way - it's sort of an English saying ;Wink  and bought a MacBook, installed AIR 3 and.....  He's absolutely right - AIR 3 provides a significant improvement in SQ over AIR 2 with a more open, detailed and airy sound. I must say that most recordings streamed from Qobuz sound superb and if it wasn't for the few that sound poor and those missing from their catalogue then I wouldn't feel a need for local storage.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
AIR 3 is a tiny bit better than my Melco N1A, which so far has been the best I've heard in my system. This annoys me slightly but then I'm currently using the Melco in between my Devialet and rest of LAN and using AIR 3 on my MacBook on the LAN and it's sounding pretty darn good.

If only we could get AIR onto streamers like Melco. I wish Devialet could release the source code for AIR so streamer makers could port it to their own devices. Yes it's proprietary code, but I don't see what Devialet have to lose by opening it up.
(18-May-2016, 18:08)PhilP Wrote: Well, I put my money where Guillaume's mouth is (I mean this in a nice way - it's sort of an English saying ;Wink  and bought a MacBook, installed AIR 3 and.....  He's absolutely right - AIR 3 provides a significant improvement in SQ over AIR 2 with a more open, detailed and airy sound. I must say that most recordings streamed from Qobuz sound superb and if it wasn't for the few that sound poor and those missing from their catalogue then I wouldn't feel a need for local storage.

I almost feel the same way Phil.... Qobuz desktop is superb. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(18-May-2016, 19:46)PGuillaumeB Wrote:
(18-May-2016, 18:08)PhilP Wrote: Well, I put my money where Guillaume's mouth is (I mean this in a nice way - it's sort of an English saying ;Wink  and bought a MacBook, installed AIR 3 and.....  He's absolutely right - AIR 3 provides a significant improvement in SQ over AIR 2 with a more open, detailed and airy sound. I must say that most recordings streamed from Qobuz sound superb and if it wasn't for the few that sound poor and those missing from their catalogue then I wouldn't feel a need for local storage.

Guillaume

The guys at Qobuz really seem to love music and put real thought and effort into everything they do. The transition to Amazon cloud went very smoothly, the desktop works pretty well in terms of usability and the SQ is excellent.  I just hope they manage to increase their subscriber base to a level that becomes economically viable for the long term.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(18-May-2016, 19:27)Rufus McDufus Wrote: AIR 3 is a tiny bit better than my Melco N1A, which so far has been the best I've heard in my system. This annoys me slightly but then I'm currently using the Melco in between my Devialet and rest of LAN and using AIR 3 on my MacBook on the LAN and it's sounding pretty darn good.

If only we could get AIR onto streamers like Melco. I wish Devialet could release the source code for AIR so streamer makers could port it to their own devices.  Yes it's proprietary code, but I don't see what Devialet have to lose by opening it up.

I can only imagine, as of a few weeks ago anyway, few manufacturers would have wanted AIR on their hardware. Streaming errors and odd noises don't do them any favours..... But if they've nailed it now (and I'm not 100% sure they have yet) then why not.

Having followed Roons RoonReady program, it seems like it's a hell of a lot of work to get it done right so would need a decent commitment from Devialet and the manufacturers and I'm not sure how big the Devialet user base is?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(18-May-2016, 19:46)GuillaumeB Wrote:

Guillaume

Me too. I really wish they'd work with Roon.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I sure they will be working with Roon at some point.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
As if by magic a new Melco firmware has appeared (v3) which apparently has some SQ improvements , though I don't know what yet. It is sounding very good indeed. There's nothing in it between AIR 3 and Melco.
I notice some new settings too, particularly in the USB-DAC section. Hmm.
(19-May-2016, 09:01)Rufus McDufus Wrote: As if by magic a new Melco firmware has appeared (v3)  which apparently has some SQ improvements , though I don't know what yet. It is sounding very good indeed. There's nothing in it between AIR 3 and Melco.

May 2016. A good month for streaming.... Smile