Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations
(19-May-2016, 09:01)Rufus McDufus Wrote: As if by magic a new Melco firmware has appeared (v3)  which apparently has some SQ improvements , though I don't know what yet. It is sounding very good indeed. There's nothing in it between AIR 3 and Melco.
I notice some new settings too, particularly in the USB-DAC section. Hmm.

So all the Melco needs now to compete with a MacBook is a box re-style to make it a better aesthetic match to Devialet plus a decent control app with Qobuz integration  Angel
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(19-May-2016, 11:17)PhilP Wrote: So all the Melco needs now to compete with a MacBook is a box re-style to make it a better aesthetic match to Devialet plus a decent control app with Qobuz integration  Angel

They have, in the form of the N1Z (HDD & SSD versions), for which they charge you a pretty penny.

In response to another comment from Rufus, yes, it would be great to be able to load AIR onto the Melco and use the ethernet output to the Devialet. No more USB.

Only difficulties, I suspect, may be a control point (or am I barking up the wrong tree?) and getting Melco to allow admin access to endusers. Currently, one can only access as a guest.
[quote='GuillaumeB' pid='41306' dateline='1463566017']
I must say I am looking forward to hearing from all the others with Melcos, Aurenders and the like.  Tongue

Guillaume

Just to try, I have installed AIR 3 and ROON and now I am streaming wireless to my D200. Totally stable also on HR material and amazing quality: maybe more 'air' around instruments than my trusted Aurender X100L but I need more time for listening.
QNAP 653 - MacMini - Roon - AIR 3b - Meicord UTP cables - D400 - Graditech Voima 1- Nordost Heimdall 2 - Harbeth Super HL5 Plus on Townshend Seismic Podiums
(18-May-2016, 11:06)GuillaumeB Wrote: I must say I am looking forward to hearing from all the others with Melcos, Aurenders and the like.  Tongue

Guillaume
I have an Aurender N100H which is connected with an Audioquest USB Diamond cable to my Devialet 250. I love the sound of my  Aurender. More analogue less digital. A big step further if I compare to Air 2. In the last few days, I listened Air 3 on my Mac mini with Audirvana and Roon. My mini is connected to an ethernet switch. My Devialet is also connected to the same ethernet switch. Both have an Audioquest Cinnamon ethernet cable. How can I say, despite I encountered the same problem with Air 2 after a few days (stutter music with hi-res files and steaming music like Tidal), I founded more air between musicians and a better soundstage with Air 3. Nevertheless, it lacked the midrange and the bass of my Aurender. So, what to choose between a more hifi listening (Air 3) or more analogue sound (Aurender)? It's like to choose between Linn or Naim. What do you prefer?
Devialet 800. Dynaudio Focus 340. Transparent MusicWave Super speaker cable. Rega P3 turntable. Naim NAT05 XS with Flatcap XS.
(22-May-2016, 21:46)Beajuju Wrote: I have an Aurender N100H which is connected with an Audioquest USB Diamond cable to my Devialet 250. I love the sound of my  Aurender. More analogue less digital. A big step further if I compare to Air 2. In the last few days, I listened Air 3 on my Mac mini with Audirvana and Roon. My mini is connected to an ethernet switch. My Devialet is also connected to the same ethernet switch. Both have an Audioquest Cinnamon ethernet cable. How can I say, despite I encountered the same problem with Air 2 after a few days (stutter music with hi-res files and steaming music like Tidal), I founded more air between musicians and a better soundstage with Air 3. Nevertheless, it lacked the midrange and the bass of my Aurender. So, what to choose between a more hifi listening (Air 3) or more analogue sound (Aurender)? It's like to choose between Linn or Naim. What do you prefer?

Interesting comments which are very much in line with what I've experienced.  The N100 delivers a full, smooth sound whilst AIR 3 is more open and brighter (maybe more neutral?, more like a Melco).  Both are way ahead of AIR 2 in my system. I've had no stuttering or other problems with AIR 3.

As you imply which is 'better' is a matter of personal preference.  I found the Aurender perhaps too smooth (more like Linn which I would describe as a 'hi-fi' sound) whilst AIR 3 is more like Naim - but a lot better - I should know as I used Naim equipment for 30 years  Wink . I could happily listen to AIR 3 or Aurender but as the former is a lot more flexible (I use Qobuz and internet radio and will probably try other services in the future), significantly cheaper and allows me to have one less box in my system then I will go with AIR 3 at least for now.

BTW I didn't enjoy using Audirvana and AIR 2 finding the sound quite artificial. Perhaps I should try again with AIR 3 but my guess will be that the combination will be over the top.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
(23-May-2016, 08:45)PhilP Wrote:
(22-May-2016, 21:46)Beajuju Wrote: I have an Aurender N100H which is connected with an Audioquest USB Diamond cable to my Devialet 250. I love the sound of my  Aurender. More analogue less digital. A big step further if I compare to Air 2. In the last few days, I listened Air 3 on my Mac mini with Audirvana and Roon. My mini is connected to an ethernet switch. My Devialet is also connected to the same ethernet switch. Both have an Audioquest Cinnamon ethernet cable. How can I say, despite I encountered the same problem with Air 2 after a few days (stutter music with hi-res files and steaming music like Tidal), I founded more air between musicians and a better soundstage with Air 3. Nevertheless, it lacked the midrange and the bass of my Aurender. So, what to choose between a more hifi listening (Air 3) or more analogue sound (Aurender)? It's like to choose between Linn or Naim. What do you prefer?

Interesting comments which are very much in line with what I've experienced.  The N100 delivers a full, smooth sound whilst AIR 3 is more open and brighter (maybe more neutral?, more like a Melco).  Both are way ahead of AIR 2 in my system. I've had no stuttering or other problems with AIR 3.

As you imply which is 'better' is a matter of personal preference.  I found the Aurender perhaps too smooth (more like Linn which I would describe as a 'hi-fi' sound) whilst AIR 3 is more like Naim - but a lot better - I should know as I used Naim equipment for 30 years  Wink . I could happily listen to AIR 3 or Aurender but as the former is a lot more flexible (I use Qobuz and internet radio and will probably try other services in the future), significantly cheaper and allows me to have one less box in my system then I will go with AIR 3 at least for now.

BTW I didn't enjoy using Audirvana and AIR 2 finding the sound quite artificial. Perhaps I should try again with AIR 3 but my guess will be that the combination will be over the top.

I agree with your comments. I found also Audirvana and Air 2 sounds artificial. I had Linn and Naim over five years  Wink . Regarding my problem with Air 3, I will try to downgrade to Yosemite or El Capitan 10.11.4. I read in different forums that 10.11.5 broke the direct mode, maybe it's the cause of my problem. I really like Air 3.
Devialet 800. Dynaudio Focus 340. Transparent MusicWave Super speaker cable. Rega P3 turntable. Naim NAT05 XS with Flatcap XS.
(23-May-2016, 13:47)Beajuju Wrote: I agree with your comments. I found also Audirvana and Air 2 sounds artificial. I had Linn and Naim over five years  Wink . Regarding my problem with Air 3, I will try to downgrade to Yosemite or El Capitan 10.11.4. I read in different forums that 10.11.5 broke the direct mode, maybe it's the cause of my problem. I really like Air 3.

I'm currently running OS X 10.11.3 and iTunes 12.3.2.35 with no issues and resisting the temptation to move to later versions until others have thoroughly de-bugged them Smile

[EDIT: at the time of writing there were many reports of 13' MacBook Pro Retinas freezing with both OS X 10.11.4 and 10.11.5 and no definitive response/fix from Apple]
(23-May-2016, 15:35)PhilP Wrote:
(23-May-2016, 13:47)Beajuju Wrote: I agree with your comments. I found also Audirvana and Air 2 sounds artificial. I had Linn and Naim over five years  Wink . Regarding my problem with Air 3, I will try to downgrade to Yosemite or El Capitan 10.11.4. I read in different forums that 10.11.5 broke the direct mode, maybe it's the cause of my problem. I really like Air 3.

I'm currently running OS X 10.11.3 and iTunes 12.3.2.35 with no issues and resisting the temptation to move to later versions until others have thoroughly de-bugged them Smile
I downgraded to Yosemite 10.10.5 a few minutes ago. Hope it will work.
(23-May-2016, 16:24)Beajuju Wrote:
(23-May-2016, 15:35)PhilP Wrote:

I downgraded to Yosemite 10.10.5 a few minutes ago. Hope it will work.

I play music via

Roon 1.2 (direct mode, integer) > Dirac > AIR 3b > ethernet > D800

on OS 10.11.5 without any hitch and with perfect SQ. Now AIR's performance comes close to feeding the D by XLR into the AES/EBU input.
Air 3 has better sonic performance than my Aries connected by AES/XLR to the D400 with far greater definition, bass extension and stage.  Just more musical content. 
I am using Audirvana with a MacBook but cannot invoke integer mode due to some issues with the Air3 beta.  Also previewing ROON to see what all the fuss is about.  Connection is hard wired Ethernet.