Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations
I like Air 3 and iTunes but I miss the automatic correction of file type rather than resampling. I have tried it with the Bitperfect app which does the same, but haven't used it long enough to know if it is problem free.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(26-May-2016, 17:19)Df1eng Wrote: I like Air 3 and iTunes but I miss the automatic correction of file type rather than resampling. I have tried it with the Bitperfect app which does the same, but haven't used it long enough to know if it is problem free.

That's a good point. The SQ of AIR3 is very good but when I check the Devialet display all files are shown as 44.1 so presumably hires files are being down-sampled ?
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(26-May-2016, 19:00)PhilP Wrote:
(26-May-2016, 17:19)Df1eng Wrote: I like Air 3 and iTunes but I miss the automatic correction of file type rather than resampling. I have tried it with the Bitperfect app which does the same, but haven't used it long enough to know if it is problem free.

That's a good point. The SQ of AIR3 is very good but when I check the Devialet display all files are shown as 44.1 so presumably hires files are being down-sampled ?

Yes they are.
Bitperfect is an inexpensive buy in the app store. I have had it years but not used it since Air, since Air until v3 beta had a iTunes  bitperfect option. Maybe the full version of V3 will re-instate it????
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I am playing Amber Rubarth in HiRes from Roon via AIR3 and my display says 192.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(26-May-2016, 20:25)NickB Wrote: I am playing Amber Rubarth in HiRes from Roon via AIR3 and my display says 192.

Any thoughts on Mac AIR3 sound quality in comparison with ye olde Windows AIR 2.1.4 Nick?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(26-May-2016, 20:25)NickB Wrote: I am playing Amber Rubarth in HiRes from Roon via AIR3 and my display says 192.

Roon is not iTunes. It presumable changes sample rate to match the file.
iTunes has always used the sample rate and bit depth defined in Audio midi when it is launched. All files which are not this rate are resampled by core audio.
Bitperfect is an app that sits on iTunes and changes the audio midi settings without needing to quit iTunes. Audirvana, which I have had since the first beta release, Amarra, Pure vinyl, in fact all the others I know of, change sample rate to match the file.

In fact it is an interesting comparison to make. Core Audio is a reasonably competent sample rate converter, so one can compare a 24/192 original with a 44/16 version of itself knowing there is no difference in the mastering or level (which there often is when sold separately).
Oxfordshire

Just installed BitPerfect 3.0.4  It initially appeared to be working correctly switching sample rates and playback SQ was good but then the s/w got stuck in a sort of loop playing a few seconds of music and then going back and playing the same piece again.

When I download s/w from the app store then I expect it to work correctly with the default settings. I understand there is a work-around to avoid the looping but others have said this does not work. I quite frankly don't want to waste time trying it out.

My advice - don't touch this s/w until others have debugged it.

I hope the uninstall works cleanly Sad
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
(27-May-2016, 09:43)PhilP Wrote: Just installed BitPerfect 3.0.4  It initially appeared to be working correctly switching sample rates and playback SQ was good but then the s/w got stuck in a sort of loop playing a few seconds of music and then going back and playing the same piece again.

When I download s/w from the app store then I expect it to work correctly with the default settings. I understand there is a work-around to avoid the looping but others have said this does not work. I quite frankly don't want to waste time trying it out.

I wonder if trying to include a bit perfect solution for iTunes is one of the shortcomings in Air 2 then?
Oxfordshire

I just tried AIR 3 via ethernet from my 2009 Macbook and I am really amazed by its sound quality especially compared to USB: much better dynamic impact, the decay of instruments becomes clearer as is spacial information. It also make the highs more defined and prominent maybe brighter (or are I only used to more subdued and veiled highs).
I used AIR 3 with Audirvana + 2.5.1.4. and it plays with the correct bit rate and sounds slightly better than iTunes for the first album but Audirvana refuses to play a second album (works if I restart).
AIR 3 even improves Spotify. I have not tried AIR 3 via Wifi but I guess that Spotify would not work with Wifi AIR as all my internet is WLAN.
(27-May-2016, 12:12)f1eng Wrote:
(27-May-2016, 09:43)PhilP Wrote: Just installed BitPerfect 3.0.4  It initially appeared to be working correctly switching sample rates and playback SQ was good but then the s/w got stuck in a sort of loop playing a few seconds of music and then going back and playing the same piece again.

I wonder if trying to include a bit perfect solution for iTunes is one of the shortcomings in Air 2 then?

Well, Air 2/iTunes has always worked perfectly for me but I stayed on OS X 10.6.8 to make sure I avoided the problems that others had.  Sample rate switching worked perfectly with the bit perfect option ticked in AIR.

My guess is that the (sometimes almost arbitrary and unpredictable?) changes that Apple has made to OS X e.g. stopping support for integer mode and then reinstating it again after a couple of years have caused a lot of problems for companies that developed their software based on a certain architecture only to find that its been changed significantly with little/no notice.  Audirvana, BitPerfect, Devialet and many others seem to have suffered in this way.