Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
VINYL RIPPING EXPERIENCES
(24-Jun-2016, 05:33)Leigh Hibbins Wrote: Hi Axel,

I meant to include a signature with my first post but had too many characters and so now have included a condensed one.

Ripping chain:
Clearaudio Stradivari V2 moving coil cartridge (Garrott Brothers retip) > Kuzma 4Point tonearm > Clearaudio Champion Level 2 turntable (power supply and bearing upgrades) > Graham Slee Elevator transformerless MC step up device > Audioquest Sky interconnects > Devialet 250 > Audioquest Diamond USB cable > 2009 Mac mini (Mac OS 10.8.5, Pro Tools 10.3.9, SSD, 8GB, WiFi & Bluetooth antennae removed, internal shielding, powered by Keces DC-116) > Curious USB > Oyen Enclosure containing Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, powered by UpTone Audio JS-2.

Vinyl is first cleaned in an Audio Desk machine.

My wife – also an audiophile and with better ears than mine – and I are surprised that my latest vinyl rips sound better than the original vinyl played live, the rip having more detail and better soundstaging, the vinyl more congested. I wonder if this is a result of an absence of airborne feedback from the speakers when ripping, but wonder if it is more likely due to the reduction in conversions. When ripping there is only one conversion: analog to digital. When playing back a rip there is only one conversion: digital to analog. When playing vinyl live there are two conversions: analog to digital and then digital to analog. If I play an SACD in my Esoteric DV-60 with analog out to the Devialet, there are three conversions, and it doesn't sound all that good. If I rip the SACD analog out signal as I would an LP and then play this back the sound quality is better.
 Very interesting observations regarding SACD playback, Leigh. I use an Oppo BDP 105D for playback duties. This has both analogue and digital outputs. Would I be right in thinking that the best output SQ wise would be the digital outs? I must invest in a power supply for my NAS and see if it improves SQ.

Perhaps you could help me with my next question. In the manual for my turntable, it says that a good starting place for VTA Adjustment is to have the tonearm level when the stylus is in contact with the vinyl. I achieve this with the brilliant Theodolite app for iPhone. I recently bought a good quality tiny circular bubble level to go on the headshell , but when this is adjusted dead level, the tonearm is nowhere near level. Which do you think would be the best setting. Does having the tonearm level assume that the headshell, and therefore the top of the cartridge will be parallel to the playing surface?

Look forward to your reply,

Alex.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England

Messages In This Thread
VINYL RIPPING EXPERIENCES - by Leigh Hibbins - 23-Jun-2016, 03:28
RE: VINYL RIPPING EXPERIENCES - by Axel - 23-Jun-2016, 07:58
RE: VINYL RIPPING EXPERIENCES - by Confused - 23-Jun-2016, 09:16
RE: VINYL RIPPING EXPERIENCES - by f1eng - 23-Jun-2016, 12:32
RE: VINYL RIPPING EXPERIENCES - by Dr Tone - 23-Jun-2016, 13:45
RE: VINYL RIPPING EXPERIENCES - by Axel - 24-Jun-2016, 03:25
RE: VINYL RIPPING EXPERIENCES - by Axel - 25-Jun-2016, 04:39
RE: VINYL RIPPING EXPERIENCES - by jfp - 12-Nov-2016, 17:07
RE: VINYL RIPPING EXPERIENCES - by Jean-Marie - 12-Nov-2016, 18:28
RE: VINYL RIPPING EXPERIENCES - by jfp - 12-Nov-2016, 19:13