Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
repetitive clicking noises after a couple of hours of use
Hello, I am new to this forum as I bought a Devialet 200 a couple of weeks ago. I am having a problem which I do not think I found an exact replica in this forum, but something along the lines. 

I have been playing my D200 with several speakers. One set of speakers the Bryston Model T signature loudspeakers, which are 4 ohms. At some point, the speaker started emitting cracking noises from the twitter. Turned off the amp and back on and the problem was gone. Then another time, I hooked up a pair of KEF LS50, after a while a ticking noise, with possibly a frequency of some 40 to 50hz started coming through the speakers, not too loud to surpass the music but clearly noticeable. I turned the amp off and then back on and things got well. Nevertheless, after a while, the tweeter of the LS50 started sounding harsh. I turned off the D200 for some 20 minutes and then back on and the symptoms seem to have disappeared. My question then is what is this noise?

BTW: I am on the latest firmware.

I figured that it may be one of the following:

1. EMI / RFI leaking in. -- I have noticed that if I fiddle with connections near the devialet, I also start hearing weird feedback noises from the devialet.
  2. Possibly it's just that the amplifier overheats and starts behaving erratically?
  3. Regarding the cracking noise on the Bryston speakers possibly the D200 does not like 4 ohm speakers?
Anyways, any input that could help me zero-in on the problem is welcome
Thanks.
Amps: Devialet 200, Linn Majik DSi, Pioneer SC-91, Chord Hugo
Speakers: Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2, Tannoy XT6, Triangle Esprit Antal EZ
Headphones: AKG  K-501, Phillips SHP-9500, PSB-M4U, Sony SBH-80, Monster Wireless, Sony MDR-7506, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
Streamers: Sonos, OS-X Yosemite, El Capitan, High Sierra, Windows-8, Windows-10, Raspberry-Pi
Hi Coffee,

Welcome to the forum!

1. For EMI / RFI to get into the Devialet and have the impact you're describing you would have to have something like a mobile phone or some other transmitter close to the Devialet. Normal interference from power cords etc. wouldn't do that.

2. This could be it but that means the amp is broken.

3. I have 4 Ohm speakers and I can drive them as hard as I wish so that's not it. Unless they drop to 1 Ohm and you drive them hard.

I hope you're aware of the AIR issue? What input are you using? Do you hear it on all inputs?

I hope these answers / questions help
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Have you checked the temperature of the amp during one of these problematic episodes? (and indeed when it appear to be running fine) This might tell us something? You can scroll through the display screens on the Devialet to see the temperatures of the Class A amp, class D amp and power supply.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Hello Coffee
Can you try with the D wifi turned off ?
Regards
Qobuz/Sonos/D200/GT1 SE (offered to my father, who enjoys it every day)
2 Phantom Reactor 600 and Spotify Premium
Yep, turn wifi off. It's a noise magnet.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Welcome Coffee_fan to our jolly little club.

I had some clicking noises when using a turntable that I believe were related to the cartridge impedance/ load settings. I know nothing about that stuff, but I know that changing the phono settings in my configuration solved that bit of noise.

Otherwise, are you using USB as an input? I recall, from perhaps a year ago, that there can be some intermittent clicking noise associated with the USB signal. Again, I'm short on detail or specifics that could help you. The 40 or 5h Hz noise sounds more like a grounding problem, or a loose connection. The threads may have the words 'click' or 'pop' or 'stutter' in the title.

I see that you have quite a collection of computers (as well as speakers); are the noises present when using both or only one of the computer inputs?
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(28-Jun-2016, 10:49)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Hi Pim, thanks for your reply, here go further notes:

1. For EMI / RFI to get into the Devialet and have the impact you're describing you would have to have something like a mobile phone or some other transmitter close to the Devialet. Normal interference from power cords etc. wouldn't do that.

>> Thanks.

2. This could be it but that means the amp is broken.

>> Could it be "half-broken" or there is no such a thing? -- I ask because other than the time when I drove the Bryston speakers for about 1 hour, I have never heard the cracking sound. -- I figure that temperature was pretty hot, but I remember reading that the devialet's run pretty hot for about 200 hours until they break-in. Not sure to the accuracy of that statement though. 

3. I have 4 Ohm speakers and I can drive them as hard as I wish so that's not it. Unless they drop to 1 Ohm and you drive them hard.

>> I am not sure what is the exact impedance curve on those speakers, but this link suggests that it never gets under 4 ohms, so should not be hard for the amp.

I hope you're aware of the AIR issue? What input are you using? Do you hear it on all inputs?

>> I need to verify that. I will pay more attention on the next occurrence.

Thanks again,
Pierre (coffee_fan)
Headphones: AKG  K-501, Phillips SHP-9500, PSB-M4U, Sony SBH-80, Monster Wireless, Sony MDR-7506, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
Streamers: Sonos, OS-X Yosemite, El Capitan, High Sierra, Windows-8, Windows-10, Raspberry-Pi
(28-Jun-2016, 17:34)Damon Wrote: Hello Damon, thanks for your answer

...The threads may have the words 'click' or 'pop' or 'stutter' in the title. ...

>>> Thanks, I will check that.

I see that you have quite a collection of computers (as well as speakers); are the noises present when using both or only one of the computer inputs?

>>> I have a raspberry Pi sitting next to the D200 as I am trying to build a DIY USB streamer to replace the Air app which I do not like too much as it depends on my PC. I did notice some odd noises from the Devialet as I hooked / unhooked the Ethernet cable from the PI, so it seems that indeed it is a good magnet for noise.

Thanks,
Pierre (coffee_fan)
Thank you very much @le_plus_gran_posteur. I will check the temperatures, do you have any idea what are acceptable ranges?

Pierre (coffee_fan)
(28-Jun-2016, 12:52)Dr Tone Wrote: Yep, turn wifi off.  It's a noise magnet.

Thanks @DrTone and @Teliaved, I will disable WiFi, because anyway I had noticed that for any bandwidth above 88.2 it may stutter, so better go direct ethernet route.

Pierre