Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom duo and Nas?
Music 
Hello everyone,

I am seriously considering the replacement of my 2nd hifi system (in my living room) by a pair of Phantom Gold (+ dialog). I found the size to quality ratio hard to beat, and I really like the "signature" of the silver, so I assume the Gold ones should sound even better.

My only (big) concern is that all my music library is stored upon a NAS (flac format, including many tracks in 24 bits). My NAS is located in the basement, and the house is wired with ethernet cables. My question is the following: is there any "elegant" and lossless solution(s) to use my NAS as the primary source?

Many thanks in advance for your precious help.
If your NAS is connected to a computer running Spark you can access your music through Spark on your smartphone/tablet. I believe that is the only solution for the time being.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
If Spark is running on a Windows computer you should assign drive-letters to your NAS-directories. That will work fine...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Devialet has not implemented DLNA yet (will they ever do ?).

But if Spark is running on a Windows computer it is easy. Assign your music directories on your NAS as netwerk-drives, that is all !
Alternatively, add a 3rd party streamer, connected to one of the phantoms (optical on the dialog adds noise after last firmware update), eg Sonos, bluesound, auralic. Sonos works great for me with FLAC files on NAS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(21-Jul-2016, 20:31)Kragwo Wrote: If your NAS is connected to a computer running Spark you can access your music through Spark on your smartphone/tablet. I believe that is the only solution for the time being.

Many thanks for this quick answer. But through that chain, can I stream HD Audio?
Because I can definitely let my iMac run, but I just want to make sure I won't downgrade the sound quality in the streaming process.
(21-Jul-2016, 22:32)martinskeem Wrote: Alternatively, add a 3rd party streamer, connected to one of the phantoms (optical on the dialog adds noise after last firmware update), eg Sonos, bluesound, auralic. Sonos works great for me with FLAC files on NAS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many thanks. Well, in that scheme, can I still enjoy my HD flacs? Because I know for sure that Sonos doesn't handle hires audio.
A raspberryPI with a Hifiberry Digi+ card and Moodeplayer software will do the same as a streamer for less than 80€. Plays 24/192k files without hickups served from a NAS. You can even install FIR convolution filter for room correction using brutefir. All fed into the Phantom through optical input. Works like a charm!
(21-Jul-2016, 22:51)streamy Wrote: A raspberryPI with a Hifiberry Digi+ card and Moodeplayer software will do the same as a streamer for less than 80€. Plays 24/192k files without hickups served from a NAS. You can even install FIR convolution filter for room correction using brutefir. All fed into the Phantom through optical input. Works like a charm!

Sure! Smile

I think you've totally nailed it... Smile
(21-Jul-2016, 22:51)streamy Wrote: A raspberryPI with a Hifiberry Digi+ card and Moodeplayer software will do the same as a streamer for less than 80€. Plays 24/192k files without hickups served from a NAS. You can even install FIR convolution filter for room correction using brutefir. All fed into the Phantom through optical input. Works like a charm!
+1

You are on the right track. Your NAS can definitely be used and stay in the basement.
I have the RPi and Digi+ and works very well. I run Roon on my NAS but your iMac would be fine as you need a powerful NAS.
Alternatively you can get the Soniorbiter SE if you don't want to the RPi which is a bit DIY. It has options to use DLNA ,Roon or Squeezebox etc.
Depending on your NAS there is music server software you can install and run on it like Logitech Media Server.