Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Firmware 10.0.2 is now available for download
I simply did not get on with v9.0.1 - it sounded a bit lean in the bass through full range speakers and a bit forward and hifi sounding. It did not sound right in my system. I went back to v8.1.3 and immediately felt it was more natural with fuller bass textures and extension. 
When v10.0.2 came out many people were saying it was just v9.01 with added tricks for the newer models. However rather than dismissing it without listening  Big Grin I thought I would try it at the weekend.

This is indeed different to v8.1.3. Soundstage more forward of the plane of the speakers - lots of air and sparkle but in no way aggressive or toppy (like 9.0.1). In fact I would go as far to say that this is the best yet in my system in that regard.

I think overall the bass is less extended than v8.1.3 however it has a bit more poise and grip - maybe v8.1.3 has less control? (this is minor and I suspect personal preference). I will need more listing but I'm pretty sure v10.0.2 holds a tune better - maybe more controlled bass. Kind of reminds me of the bad old days of my valve pre-power combos - balanced or unbalanced interconnects? The former gave bigger bass but could sound a bit diffuse, the latter had more control and rhythm but less extension - drove me nuts (thank you Devialet - 1 box and no wires!)

I've noted that some people are now having issues with ROON AIR3b. Me too. Plays no problem after start up but if I change source and come back to it later I can't get AIR and ROON to talk. Think I've found a cure (well, it has worked twice....) - start playing a track on ROON (no sound) then cycle through the sources on the Dev until you get back to WiFi input. The Dev then spends its usual 5-10 seconds locking on to signal and hey presto sound! Again, I've only done this twice and it worked both times.

Anyway, I like what I'm hearing with v10.0.2 and will persevere.

K
Devialet 1000 Pro; Magico A5 loudspeakers; Metronome T3a Signature CD Transport; dCS Network Bridge; Kuzma M turntable; Kuzma 4Point14 tonearm; Koetsu Sky Blue; Benzmicro LPS; Audioquest Vodka Ethernet; Transparent Reference Digital RCA-RCA; Transparent Reference XL MM2 speaker cable; Transparent Reference mains cable; PS Audio P5 PowerPlant; Artesania and Finite Elemente equipment racks 
North Somerset, UK     

Messages In This Thread
RE: Firmware 10.0.2 is now available for download - by KIBM - 25-Jul-2016, 12:13