Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet mentioned in ML585 review
I was surprised to see an uninvited attack on Devialet appearing in the Hi-Fi+ review of the Mark Levinson 585 integrated amp/DAC:

"But by now you’ll have gathered that I’m far from impressed with the vast majority of ‘digital integrateds’ and the seemingly ubiquitous use of Class D, hybrid Class D, pseudo Class D, and every other kind of clever, not quite Class D you’ve ever come across has a lot to do with that. The archetypical example is the Devialet, a product that embodies everything good and bad with the whole concept – from its compact dimensions, stylish exterior, and multi-room, multi input versatility to its pan flat dynamic range and fractured temporal domain."

Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
What the heck does "pan flat dynamic range and fractured temporal domain" mean?

That's just lazy writing, more or less gibberish as far as I can tell.

Funny, because I recall Roy Gregory was falling over himself to praise the D-Premier when it came out, wasn't he? (Or am I mis-remembering -- quite likely.)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Are the experts 'multi-room'? I never knew that. I thought you were lucky to get a room.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Smile nice one
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I have actually auditioned a number of fine amplifiers in the past, but if I am completely honest I have never noticed much difference in the dynamic range between them.  Maybe some differences in dynamics, pace, impact, and so on, but not dynamic range.  I can get mutli-room with mine though, crank it up a bit and I can hear it in the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, even outside.

I have noticed issues with the fractured temporal domain a few times, have I not mentioned this? It's a kind of stuttering temporal effect, often noticed when using AIR.

By the way, I'm not sure why that picture is there, it appears to have attached itself to this post automatically and I can't get rid of it?? The picture just seems to want to be here for some reason?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Well Confused, you were interested in alternatives. Would you consider the 585?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(26-Jul-2016, 23:11)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Well Confused, you were interested in alternatives. Would you consider the 585?

You know what? I was just about to edit my earlier post.  The thing is, I do have an interest in the alternatives to Devialet, not least as a verification that sticking with one is right for me.  So I would have been very interested in reading a comparison with the Devialet, how do they compare and contrast, strengths and weaknesses, normal stuff.  The linked article has told me sod all to be honest.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Yup, a real comparison by a thorough reviewer would be interesting. This is nothing like what this reviewer did here, of course.
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
So who's going to borrow one from their dealer and post a detailed comparison with the Devialet on here then?  Tongue

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(27-Jul-2016, 08:37)GuillaumeB Wrote: So who's going to borrow one from their dealer and post a detailed comparison with the Devialet on here then?  Tongue

Guillaume

I have been considering exactly that. The ML got an excellent review in Stereofool a few months ago. It looks a bit bulky though . . .
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3