Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
New streamerboard, what functions do we want?
(29-Jul-2016, 15:51)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(28-Jul-2016, 13:20)AllenB Wrote: It is quite perplexing how a measly little Raspberry Pi can do Roonbridge, yet something that in practice, should be able to stream AIR, yet there is no inkling that Devialet will adopt even RoonBridge.

I believe Roons core code for RoonBridge and RAAT is 64bit Linux for Intel/ARM devices. I was chatting to them quite a while back about Experts, and I got the impression it would require them to write custom versions of their code for a platform like Devialet (if it would even be possible) due to its under-specced streamer board. They weren't keen on this as they said they'd done it in the past and it always lead to a bad user experience. That said, I sensed they might have tried it if the other party were willing.

In any case it's not likely to happen on the 'legacy' streamer now if a new one's on the cards, and if it weren't Devialet I'd be certain that the new streamer would be something very Linux/ARM based or similar. If not what's the point - there would still be nothing obvious to run on it. I guess it will be based on Dialog because no-one sensible would write two custom OSs for hardware with almost identical roles, especially when they, ahem, might not be the most on the ball in software.

Good insight & thanks.

But aaaaarghhh!! The same thing lead to my falling out of love with Naim, never proven, but I believe their streaming board in their streamers were limited in capability. Took them an eternity just to get Tidal integrated. No sign of Roon there either.

I suspect you're right about the 'new' streaming board for the upgraded Experts, what has not been mentioned at all, is whether here will be a new board for un-upgraded Dev's, the ones we own today. If it has RAAT capability, I am all over it (possibly Dodgy ), if all we get is UPnP and Spark capability, that would be a big no thanks from me.
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)

Messages In This Thread
RE: New streamerboard, what functions do we want? - by AllenB - 30-Jul-2016, 08:15