Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bought a second D200 to go along with my D400
(15-Aug-2016, 21:52)Confused Wrote: I think it is worth noting that a D400 will sound better than a D200, and not just because of the extra power.  Devialet claim much lower distortion figures fore the dual mono, and in my experience the dual mono's sound far more detailed.  So with your proposed set up you have the advantage of the D400 dedicated to bass duties, which is almost certainly a good thing.  The down side is that using a sole D200 for just the higher frequencies could well in theory give an inferior performance when compared with a D400 running full range.  In effect you are using the less detailed / higher distortion amp on the delicate mid range frequencies.  It would be good fun trying this stuff though, and who knows might just yield some good results.  One observation I would make is that  I have seen a couple of Devialet bi / trip amp systems, and in each case they have been made up of multiple D400's.

Yes, I'm also considering investing in a second companion D200 to make it two D400s, so I can effectively biamp two D400s for my B&W 800Ds (as well as to use in two separate rooms). I assume all that is needed for biamping is to hook at four of them together using SPDIF (except for AES to SPDIF for the first pair) and then connect midrange/treble using the first two, and the bass drivers with the second two. This might actually sound better than a D800, given the inherent advantages of biamping.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bought a second D200 to go along with my D400 - by srima - 16-Aug-2016, 02:11