Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flashed Phantom
Hi all,

Thanks for this great community. I've been reading a lot of posts and they are really informative. 

I owned a Silver Phantom a few months ago and send it back to Devialet because of the latency. For DJ/mixing purposes the phantom is too slow, unfortunately. However, I contacted Devialet about this issue and they came up with a new solution: 

"Dear Sir, Thank you for your reply. We can indeed configure your Phantom to have no latency (by switching off the software and using only optical entry). Would that option something you would like?"

This DJ, for example, also used flashed Phantoms. As well as many other musicians on the social media of Devialet I guess.

Does anyone experienced this kind of flashed Phantom?
This is awesome. Maybe they could add it as an option, like a gaming mode on TV?
(29-Aug-2016, 08:00)dmitrek Wrote: This is awesome. Maybe they could add it as an option, like a gaming mode on TV?

Yes, that would be great! However, they flash the software, so it's gone after the process. Or as Devialet stated: 

"Unfortunately, when we flash the Phantom to optical in order to avoid the latency, you can not switch back to the normal Spark mode."

So that's a pity. But maybe flashed phantoms in combination with Raspberry PI 3 and HiFiBerry Digi+ (Spark replacement) would be a killer combination? If stereo is still an option since you need the Dialog which most probably runs on the Spark software.
(29-Aug-2016, 08:00)dmitrek Wrote: This is awesome. Maybe they could add it as an option, like a gaming mode on TV?

Should absolutely be an off/on option in Spark somewhere. My guess is the sound would be inferior for home playback with the time adjustment turned off, but for real time use like DJing and amplifying instruments this would be good.

EDIT: I see from Diplofan9's second post that this is a one way solution. Maybe those interested in this feature should suggest to Devialet they make a special version of Phantom which is better suited to carrying around. With an integrated handle or maybe mounted inside a stackable frame?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I asked Devialet support about this today. Here is the answer from Roger "...putting Phantom in an optical mode is a specific installation only used for professionals. We actually do not offer this option to our customers."

So this is for you 'professionals' Smile .
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Ok, so the big question is "How does this effect the sound"? If it's just room correction, i can do that through my daw computer.
Interesting...and i agree this should be a on/off toggle. DJ mode if they like to call it.

I just wonder if SAM processing goes away with the software? Because if so, then i would absolutely not want this gone as potential driver damage could occur. Assuming my understanding of SAM is correct, its that feature that keeps Phantoms in one piece at extremely high volume.