Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Phantom Gold: A review
A few weeks ago, I had only known of Devialet through their somewhat obnoxious advertising in the back of Stereophile magazine, showing a Dxxx amplifier with the catchphrase "One day, everyone will own a Devialet". Humph, I thought, dismissing the ad. 

Now, as I write these words, I am forced to eat humble pie. I bought two sets of D400 amplifiers, since I liked the first one so much. I sold literally 10 treasured components of mine that I have used and cherished to help pay the way for the new D400s. Thanks to the great resale value of the components I had accumulated, I got much more than I expected, and the monetary blow was much less to my wallet. 

Now, I am the proud owner of  a pair of Phantom Golds, bought principally for my wife, a music lover, not an audiophile. But, as she says, who's kidding who? I'm sure I'm going to love them as much as I hope she will. (She never comments on equipment unless it annoys her, she just plays music and enjoys it. Radical!). 

Initially, when I heard of the Phantom's, I was once again turned off by the absolute over the top advertising. Now, with the Gold's in my house and having listened to them on a wide repertoire of music, my initial reaction is that Devialet needs to rethink that ad in Stereophile. The ad should read "One day, everyone will own a Devialet Phantom Gold". Basically, I can't see a reason for the Dxx line of amplifiers. You don't need them. 99.99% of the discerning public will be entirely happy with the sound quality of the Phantom Gold. 

I speak as a 30 year veteran of high end audio. I own or have owned a pair of Quad ESL 57s, Quad 63s, Quad 989s, Harbeth Monitor 40s, Spendor SP1, Spendor S3/5, B&W 800 Nautilus, B&W 800 Diamonds (1st generation), and Mageneplanar 3.6rs. So, I know good sound and how to tell a great speaker from an also ran. 

The Phantom Gold's are a great speaker, fully deserving of inclusion in the above list. They are not a boom box, or a toy, but a serious full fledged speaker capable of the highest resolution, of absolute fidelity to the source, and most be treated with the same respect as any of the above speakers. One would not buy a B&W 800D or a Quad and throw them in a closet or a bathroom and expect great sound. Neither should you treat the Phantom Gold's in this way. Hooking them up to a TV to listen to evening news and movies is a sacrilege. What a waste!

They do most things exceptionally well, but like every speaker on the planet, have an Achilles heel. There is no speaker without a weak spot. Let's get it out of the way. They are a small speaker designed to mimic a point source. This affects how they image, and how you should listen to them. You MUST listen to them sitting down in a low chair, not standing up. A stereo pair must be listened to in the middle. I have mine set up in my living room on either side of a wide door connecting the living and dining rooms. Set up like this, they image like nothing I've heard. A singer recorded further back sounds like he/she is singing in the dining room or sometimes outside the house! 

They are not bright in the least. They are if anything a bit warm sounding, very easy on the ears. Of course, as befits a true monitor, if you play the latest pop/rock/rap MP3 garbage through them, that's exactly what they will sound like. Leave these for your car stereo where they will sound better. Listen to the Phantom Gold's on music that is well recorded, and they will reward you with boundless pleasure. 

When auditioning them, don't make the noobie mistake of cranking them up to hear the "great bass". They are not a toy, but a serious product. Listen to them as you would at home listen to your favorite recording, to relieve stress, to ponder life's deeper mysteries, to relax, to ease the stress of the day's work, for every reason you listen to music. They do have plenty of natural bass, but don't start by looking for gut wrenching bass. You won't find it here. That's not their design, they are not a cheap Velodyne subwoofer. They are far more intelligently designed, and will produce bass of a kind that no subwoofer ever does. 

If you own a D120 or a D200, and are considering upgrading to a D400 or to the new Pros, I have only one word of advice for you. DON"T! You are wasting hard earned money. Spend it on a pair Phantom's and the Dialog, which is needed to pair up the Phantom's. Not only have you saved a lot of money, but you will find it hard to go back and listen to your "conventional" speaker. 

In the overused sense of the term, they are a true breakthrough. If the Quad 57 was the greatest hifi product of the 20th century, the Phantom Gold could well be running for the greatest hifi product of the 21st century. They show the way forward. This is how to exploit advances in materials, in D/A conversion, amplifier design, wireless technology, and a countless other things that were involved in the design of the Phantom Gold (they even have experts in explosives on the team, since the shock waves generated by this little thing have similar physics to explosives). 

One word of final advice. Buy this before Devialet realizes the horrible marketing mistake. They are selling each for $3K in the US. I got mine at an additional discount. They could easily ask $10K for each, and it would be still entirely reasonable. 

Pic of my setup below. 

Great review srima! Thanks for sharing!  Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Wow, this is high praise! I am sure Golds are very good indeed. I wonder how Silvers would stand if compared to Golds in this setting?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(14-Sep-2016, 21:47)ogs Wrote: Wow, this is high praise! I am sure Golds are very good indeed. I wonder how Silvers would stand if compared to Golds in this setting?

I haven't heard the Silver's, but the rumor mill is that they are not as refined sounding. The tweeter design is different between the two. 

I should balance my review by saying  a couple more things. There are unresolved bugs with the Phantom you should be aware of. First, if you plug in an optical cable in the Dialog (the Devialet router that talks to the Phantoms), it can generate occasional noise. I heard a little buzz that lasted half a second or thereabouts once or twice in several hours of listening. Some people seem to have a worse problem. Devialet has been dragging its feet on fixing this bug, but have acknowledged it's there, and claim to have an update later this month that fixes it. 

Second, I wanted to try the direct ethernet input and had to recable one of the Phantom's. I have the Devialet Branch, a nice stand for the Phantom's. It took me forever to get it off this stand, rewire, and plug it back. (I learned a few things that will make it faster next time around). Restarting the setup took much more time because it had trouble finding both Phantom's. 

Finally, I must emphasize again that the sound of the Phantom's entirely depends on whether you like the sound of point source loudspeakers. I have my Quad 57s in an adjacent family room with the D400s, and they sound entirely different from the Phantom's. The Quad's radiating surface is about 20x larger than the Phantom's. So, they produce a kind of enveloping sound that makes you feel you are sitting in the first few rows close to the orchestra or the musicians. This can feel nice, but it's kind of a coloration that shouldn't be there. Quad designer Peter Walker realized this, and for the ESL 63, he artificially made it resemble a point source by using delay lines to taper the signal so it resembled a ripple when a stone falls into a lake. The center of the speaker is energized before the surrounding areas. Harbeth's Alan Shaw also believe strongly in point source sound. The Harbeth Monitor 40 is a huge speaker (Stand mounted) with a large baffle. But it sounds kind of funny because it is mimicking a point source. The sound is not in your face, but somewhat distant, and this can be disconcerting with a large speaker. 

So, if you like the sound of a large planar, like the Magneplanar 3.6 or 20.1, or the large moving coil loudspeakers (like line array sources), you will not be happy with the Phantom. But, point source speakers have a kind of accuracy that can be very appealing as long as you realize that not all your music will sound pleasant. If a recording is mastered poorly with mikes placed inside an instrument, it's going to sound pretty bad through the Phantom. But well recorded material sounds magnificent indeed. 

My overall feeling is that the Phantom needs a lot more work to be a durable workhorse for the everyday music lover. The setup procedure is needlessly complicated, and the interfaces are confusing. It's not surprising that Devialet provides free set up for anyone purchasing the Phantom. This is a system that can befuddle even knowledgable tech users.
I was probably lucky when I borrowed Phantoms and Dialog from my dealer. The units remembered settings from the shop and worked without any setup. I used optical in on Dialog and noticed the noise. Around every minute... so it was quite annoying. Devialet confirms the error and has promised a fix this month, as you say.

The ESL 63 is indeed a point source design. One of the few time-coherent designs which one can see from the step response: http://cdn.stereophile.com/images/archiv...ADFIG5.jpg . Stereophile even published square wave plots for the speaker! I am all for point source speakers and even more pro time-coherent designs. Unfortunately the Phantom I tried (White) is not a true time-coherent design despite being designed the way it is. Drive units are not corrected in the time domain even if the speaker has lots of DSP power available. Maybe (hopefully) this is one of the improvements of Golds.

EDIT: I guess this thread belongs under 'Phantom'? Rufus? Guillaume?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Thumbs Up 
Great Review Srima
(15-Sep-2016, 07:52)ogs Wrote: I was probably lucky when I borrowed Phantoms and Dialog from my dealer. The units remembered settings from the shop and worked without any setup. I used optical in on Dialog and noticed the noise. Around every minute... so it was quite annoying. Devialet confirms the error and has promised a fix this month, as you say.

The ESL 63 is indeed a point source design. One of the few time-coherent designs which one can see from the step response: http://cdn.stereophile.com/images/archiv...ADFIG5.jpg . Stereophile even published square wave plots for the speaker! I am all for point source speakers and even more pro time-coherent designs. Unfortunately the Phantom I tried (White) is not a true time-coherent design despite being designed the way it is. Drive units are not corrected in the time domain even if the speaker has lots of DSP power available. Maybe (hopefully) this is one of the improvements of Golds.

EDIT: I guess this thread belongs under 'Phantom'? Rufus? Guillaume?

Interestingly, Peter Walker himself did not attach much importance to the phase true time aligned nature of the Quad ESL 63, which is more or less a consequence of the design. Few other designs are time-aligned and phase true, e.g. Thief loudspeakers are an exception. It's unclear how important time alignment is to our enjoyment of music. 

Getting back to the music, one of the joys of owning the Phantom Gold is that you can finally start enjoying all your cherished organ music. Let's begin with the great French organist Jean Guillou. He made many fine recordings, but his best surely is for the late lamented Dorian label. These are minimalist recordings made with state of the art equipment. One of his most thrilling recordings is the warhorse Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. If you haven't heard this piece, it was originally written for the piano by Mussorgsky in memory of his friend, a painter.The idea behind the piece is that each track corresponds to a painting, and the piece evokes the idea of being in a museum of his artwork, and visiting it painting by painting. It has been scored for full orchestra by Maurice Ravel, the well known French composer, and this is the version most familiar to classic music listeners. There is also an organ version, and this is the version played by Jean Guillou. 

https://www.amazon.com/Mussorgsky-Pictur...B000001Q80

This is an organ recording with truly low frequencies. When I played it back through the Phantom Gold's, with a volume of 55, my whole room was energized, and the windows were rattling, the bookcase behind started to shudder. Needless to say, my dogs freaked out! Truly low bass is felt more like a pressure wave, and this is what the Phantom Gold's can reproduce with great accuracy. This is a great demo disc for the Phantom's if you want to show off their low bass capabilities. Also, few loudspeakers can reproduce low bass with accurate pitch. The Phantom's low bass does not degenerate into mush, like cheap subwoofers. It remains articulate and well-defined. 

A great example of the dynamic range of the Phantom is to play one of Tchaikovsky's famous pieces, the haunting Marche Slav (or Slavic March). Few composers could write music as haunting and melodic as Tchaikovsky. This is a beautiful piece for full orchestra, that begins very quietly with the main theme played softly back on strings, and then slowly builds up to a shattering climax. When the bass drum kicks in after two and a half minutes, my entire living room seemed to shudder. The speakers completely disappear in such recordings, and even though I have fairly high ceilings (10 feet), the sound soars above till the very top of the walls to the ceiling. The effect is completely mesmerizing. 

The Phantom is one of the rare loudspeakers that makes you want to dig into all your favorite recordings to hear them again, in a new light. 

Now if only Devialet would fix the pesky bug with the optical connection, that would be welcome!
Thanks for the review. Enjoyed reading it!
Thank you for the review! It makes me even more keen to upgrade from Phantom Silver to Gold.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Great review. Thanks for sharing of what you think about the Phantom Gold. On the other hand, how much discount did you get if you don't mind to share? You can PM me as I am looking for dealer. The closest dealer nearby me is over 3 hours drive one way so will probably be purchasing out of state.