Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Gold Buyer...
Hi Guys,

Been a Devialet fan for a while.... had considered a D200 or similar to drive my B&W 802Ds but, having auditioned a couple of Golds, I bought them yesterday and sold the 802's!! They are now sitting on their branch stands and streaming Tidal endlessly and without any trouble (yet!).

I just don't understand the "mixed" views of the Phantoms -- the idea that they're not "audiophile". I can confirm that they are at least equal to my 802 setup and, frankly, are superior in many ways. I know the "bass" is obviously used as a selling point but it is so fast and tuneful it has a massive impact on the entire soundscape. Just to clarify, the 802's are about the same size and weight as your average adult male(!) and the Phantom Gold's bass is *unarguably* superior, in every way. 

I won't bore you all with a wordy summary but I just wanted to say that this is a top tier piece of hifi equipment and should be auditioned with an open mind and open ears!

Cheers!
Just give them about a week. Believe it or not, they get even better. Congrats!!!
(06-Oct-2016, 00:25)Plainview Wrote: Hi Guys,

Been a Devialet fan for a while.... had considered a D200 or similar to drive my B&W 802Ds but, having auditioned a couple of Golds, I bought them yesterday and sold the 802's!! They are now sitting on their branch stands and streaming Tidal endlessly and without any trouble (yet!).

I just don't understand the "mixed" views of the Phantoms -- the idea that they're not "audiophile". I can confirm that they are at least equal to my 802 setup and, frankly, are superior in many ways. I know the "bass" is obviously used as a selling point but it is so fast and tuneful it has a massive impact on the entire soundscape. Just to clarify, the 802's are about the same size and weight as your average adult male(!) and the Phantom Gold's bass is *unarguably* superior, in every way. 

I won't bore you all with a wordy summary but I just wanted to say that this is a top tier piece of hifi equipment and should be auditioned with an open mind and open ears!

Cheers!
Congratulations! I posted a long review of the Phantom Gold's and I share your conclusions. Matter of fact, I have the bigger B&W 800 Diamonds (first generation) in my basement home theater, and were it not for the fact that the Phantom's don't integrate well with home theater systems as yet, I would consider selling the 800D's. The Gold is an amazing best buy for the price. I posted a review of the Gold on the audiophile group Audio Asylum speaker forum, and it was largely met by jeers from the usual crowd of people who believe that unless a speaker weighs 300 pounds and is 7 feet tall, it can't be any good. I think Devialet have clearly proven that is not the case with amplifiers, and that you don't need to build an amplifier the size of a steamer trunk to have it sound good. The Phantom Gold proves the same point with speakers as well, and it is to my ears even more convincing. But, as with all true revolutions, this one will take a while in coming.