Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Pro - Non sound quality observations
(08-Nov-2016, 11:25)GuillaumeB Wrote: I am convinced that many streaming solutions are compromised by the complexities of computer audio. Although we have improved in leaps and bounds over the past few years (as many of these issues have been recognised and addressed/optimised) when going back to a "reference" CD player it can be a bit of an eye opener. 

Guillaume

+1
But I would presume spending as much as 12k on a custom streaming solution made with rare but special computer audio knowhow would ever surpass a standalone CD-Player for the same price (implied you have something like a Devialet with decent made DAC inside).

The problem is that most custom computer audio streaming starts from zero...the first being your MacBook/Laptop and plug an USB cable in between PC/(DAC)Amp.
That's the first step, something near 1000€ and no comparison to standalone CD-Player. There's just so much hassle within the PC that's nothing to do with audio and corrupts the audio signal with its bits birth. It has to be second to a CD-Player.

Though if one puts some effort into computer audio with decent cables, power supply, stillpoints (all the same as you would with a 12k CD-Player) and most important software/configuration you would end up with a streaming solution say 3-4k€. This "cheap" computer audio solution would give the 12k CD-Player a hard time.
If you can even go further with your expense there is nothing the CD-Player can give.

Guillaume:
Wouldn't it be nice to have a "Start here and go this route" thread for a custom computer audio streaming solution?
I'm in it on a serious level for only half a year and still learning what gives the most. But I'm sure that some folks here can give us very good hints where to start and what's worth to try.

But if the final AIR 3 kicks a.. to all it would be obsolete I know   Big Grin

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Pro - Non sound quality observations - by yabaVR - 08-Nov-2016, 20:56