Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Down sample DSD128 to DSD64 or convert to PCM 24/192?
Hi Lonely,

I have just solved a very similar problem to yours. I have a few hi res files – PCM 24/96 and 24/192 and a growing number of DSD64 files of various music genres. Why growing - because I hear a distinct ‘improvement’ to my ears with DSD. 
Now I have two DSD128 files that I cannot listen to as my equipment stops at DSD64. I was prepared to settle for any conversion to high res - 24/96 or above.
Searching the net I came across a suggestion this week on the Naim forum to use TASCAM Hi-Res Editor. It is available on PC (Win 7 to Win 8.1) and Mac. I have Win 10 but downloaded the Win 8.1 version 1.0.3 anyway. It loaded very easily.

As the sales talk on Editor only claims conversion of DSD > PCM and PCM>DSD I assumed that down converting DSD128 to DSD64 was not on so I converted my two files from DSD128 to PCM 24/192. I was happy that it worked and happy with the sound quality.

THEN I decided to Read the Manual! One chart seemed to suggest that exporting DSD files can be output to a different sampling rate than the original rate - both up and down! I leapt at the chance of converting my DSD128 files to DSD64 and it worked first time! It seemed to take twice as long as converting DSD to PCM 24/192 so I was suspicious of an intermediate conversion via PCM.

Listening tests show that the PCM 24/192 tracks are very clear (in a sort of digital via transistor way). The DSD64 tracks sound more musical (though a fraction less clear) - like a good valve/tube amplifier. I very much prefer the DSD but can live with the 24/192.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Down sample DSD128 to DSD64 or convert to PCM 24/192? - by Fuzzeer - 20-Feb-2017, 09:55