Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Down sample DSD128 to DSD64 or convert to PCM 24/192?
I recall that at the Oxford Audio 1000 Pro launch event last year, Devialet's Mattieu Pernot advised that the DSD MAT algorithm / ADH was is actually capable of running DSD128. He advised that it is possible that this may be implemented in a future firmware upgrade, but he offered no timeline for this. Probably very wise as Devialet are not the best at keeping to timelines.

An interesting post from Devialetuser above. However, I think it worth mentioning that opinions may differ on this one. For me, the quality of the original recording and mastering make an order of magnitude of difference in comparison to the actual file format used. Would a good recording on 24/96 sound horrible whereas a mediocre one on 24/192 would sound good? No. In fact if you look at the science behind this, there is zero reason why 24/96 should sound audibly different to 24/192. In absolute terms, 24/96 is very high resolution indeed. This is the kind of stuff that folk get into unending debates and arguments with on forums like this. I would urge anyone interested to do a bit of their own research, there is lots of interesting stuff out there. Here is something to start with....

https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

That said, I was listening to some DSD64 material recently where the sound staging was absolutely mesmerising. There does seam to be something about DSD that allows it to excel in this regard. On this Devialetuser and myself can agree I think.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: Down sample DSD128 to DSD64 or convert to PCM 24/192? - by Confused - 20-Feb-2017, 14:27