Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Down sample DSD128 to DSD64 or convert to PCM 24/192?
Hi Lonely,

I am pleased that you are happy with your solution. I note that you have chosen to use a program that converts during playback as opposed to your original wish to create a converted file. I also note that you spent money. The idea of the Tascam Hi-Res Editor is still an option if you ever choose to create converted files and it is free.

My situation is a bit different to yours as I need to put my files on a USB external drive and a NAS drive, neither of which connect via a computer - both go straight into my Oppo BDP105 DAC. This sounds so much cleaner than passing audio through a noisy laptop PC.

Guys,
Thanks for the responses – I didn’t mean to set off a debate on DSD v PCM!  Which no one wins.

My last comment was on how I found the resultant quality on my high end hi fi system – I found the DSD sounded ‘better’ for me.  It also matched my reaction to another experience when I downloaded 3 files of David Elias’ recording of The Window – Vision of Her in DSD64, 24/88.2 PCM and a FLAC version of the PCM file.  Those PCM files sounded good but the DSD was considerably more enjoyable – far more accurate tone/harmonics/decay more like live instruments, greater dynamics, more authority and presence – all up, more like the real thing.

However I am in complete agreement with Confused and others in that the recording/mastering quality is the most important thing. I have a recording of Carol Kidd in FLAC 5545kbps PCM (seems to equate to 24 bit /115.5 kbps) that is possibly the best sounding most realistic track I have, it easily matches my DSD tracks.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Down sample DSD128 to DSD64 or convert to PCM 24/192? - by Fuzzeer - 21-Feb-2017, 05:06