Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any independent or non-biased (owner) review of the upgrade?
I have posted my findings earlier in another thread. I wanted to and was pretty sure in advance to upgrade my 200 to 220Pro, but decided to go 400 after a Side by Side comparison of 200, 220 and 400. I didn't compare to 440 as that move was over budget anyhow. The old expert range has a different sound than the Pro to my ears and it matters what speakers you drive, your acoustics and your personal taste whether you prefer the one or the other. The difference is easilly heard, but needs some time auditioning before you decide. Upgrade to 400 instead of 220 Pro is very much an option still now as long as there are ex demo 200 models available.

First impression was that 220 beats 200, but doesn't beat 400. Longer listening brought more differences to light. Not all in favour of Pro. Apart from taste and match with your speakers the Pro looks like an upgrade compared to their predecessors, but also was a little less neutral to my ears. Some speakers and setups might benefit from that, but not all I can imagine. I am not saying the Pro is or isn't better than the Expert or other way around, but you have a choice (also in sound characteristics) to make there. So I can only advise you to go and compare them yourself and make sure you decide what is best for you. I found it quite hard to decide against all raving reviews, but came back to the same decision again and again. Be prepared to use different firmwares too. Expert on 7.1.3 sounds different than 10.0.5.

Listened to 1000 Pro too, and that was jaw dropping good, but out of reach for me now and probably the distant future. Was great to hear what it is capabel of though, and maybe I will upgrade to the next super Pro successor in five years time.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any independent or non-biased (owner) review of the upgrade? - by kerkhoffd - 23-Nov-2016, 17:04