Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New WAMM
(28-Dec-2016, 14:30)Duomike Wrote:
(28-Dec-2016, 12:58)f1eng Wrote:
(28-Dec-2016, 02:48)Duomike Wrote: It's important that the signal from all drivers arrive at your ear arrive at the same time! This got nothing to do with the phase of the recordings!

Why?

What, other than phase through the crossover, is effected by time alignment of the drivers?
In the Goldmund the tweeter and bass unit of the main speaker are offset by the difference at the speed of sound in air at the crossover frequency.
This is probably sensiblish, but since the 2 units share output over a reasonable frequency range it would be "wrong" for most of the overlap (if it mattered).
The main unit is adjustable on the bass box by a huge amount but probably pointless since at the crossover frequency the wavelength is huge, and adjustment could only have a negligible effect.

You are basically saying that the designer of your speaker and other designer like David Wilson are stupid making the effort to make their speakers adjustable in the time time domain. It's not these designers who are stupid!!
I have absolutely nothing further to say to you!
Where did you see that F1 was calling stupid those designers?

I have always found F1's approach and analysis very interesting and enlightening, so wondering and interrogating whether a point of design matters or not and trying to understand why it does or does not is interesting and there is no need to imply that one party or the other is stupid.

I have always wonder myself about this question as well as the infamous question of phase, is it important or not and can the ear detect it or not.
I would hate to see this thread being stopped prematurely.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(28-Dec-2016, 14:30)Duomike Wrote:
(28-Dec-2016, 12:58)f1eng Wrote:
(28-Dec-2016, 02:48)Duomike Wrote: It's important that the signal from all drivers arrive at your ear arrive at the same time! This got nothing to do with the phase of the recordings!

Why?

What, other than phase through the crossover, is effected by time alignment of the drivers?
In the Goldmund the tweeter and bass unit of the main speaker are offset by the difference at the speed of sound in air at the crossover frequency.
This is probably sensiblish, but since the 2 units share output over a reasonable frequency range it would be "wrong" for most of the overlap (if it mattered).
The main unit is adjustable on the bass box by a huge amount but probably pointless since at the crossover frequency the wavelength is huge, and adjustment could only have a negligible effect.

You are basically saying that the designer of your speaker and other designer like David Wilson are stupid making the effort to make their speakers adjustable in the time time domain. It's not these designers who are stupid!!
I have absolutely nothing further to say to you!

I haven't said anybody is stupid. I have left my speakers as standard and love them.
You OTOH have heavily modified speakers, so you presumably do believe the Avantgarde designer is stupid.
You also believe in cables making a difference so are, IMHO, susceptible to the placebo effect, like many on audio forums.
I don't think logical engineering will be any assistance to you.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(28-Dec-2016, 10:41)Gerronwithit Wrote: .... They redefine the word 'ugly' ....

Glad someone else said it.

I've no idea who can afford these things, but still, wouldn't hurt to make it look nice for them for 650k.

It kind of makes me think though, what's the point? Wouldn't it be far easier and more convenient (and probably a lot cheaper) to make the speaker active and control all the driver delays with digital precision from a laptop or something.

I guess for someone super OCD this speaker would keep them out of trouble for a while.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(28-Dec-2016, 20:53)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(28-Dec-2016, 10:41)Gerronwithit Wrote: .... They redefine the word 'ugly' ....

Glad someone else said it.

I've no idea who can afford these things, but still, wouldn't hurt to make it look nice for them for 650k.

It kind of makes me think though, what's the point? Wouldn't it be far easier and more convenient (and probably a lot cheaper) to make the speaker active and control all the driver delays with digital precision from a laptop or something.

I guess for someone super OCD this speaker would keep them out of trouble for a while.

I don't want to sound like a stickler for detail but they are 685k. The difference being the cost of a Devialet 1000Pro... that's a lot! Smile

I can only assume but some of Wilson's customers would probably not touch them if they were 'digitally enhanced'.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.