Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Hifi Gold Phantom Review: Sound is foggy?
There's a new review for the Gold Phantom:

http://www.whathifi.com/devialet/gold-phantom/review

Nothing in it is too surprising, but i'm wondering if owners of the Gold feel the same way as he did: That
Quote:there’s a lack of separation and space to the sound that makes the Devialet sound dense in the manner of fog – everything happens at speed, with an assertion that sometimes borders on aggression, and the small-ish soundstage as a consequence is not so much muddled as crowded.
Short answer: No.
I think the soundstage and separation is very good, better than the Silver.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
"small-ish soundstage"

I wonder if it is due to the point source design of the Phantom which gives a particularly precise, focused, laser sharp soundstage. It can sound small and 'dense' compared to larger speakers, especially large panels or multiple drivers that are arrayed vertically which is more diffused and larger in the physical scale, if not decibels. At least that's what I think the reviewer is responding to.

I presonally like 'aggression'....if that means speakers that speaks very quickly in the transients.

Overally the review is very positive.
I think I understand what they are saying, I have silvers and think they are fantastic. However when I play the same track through either my Maganplanar 1.7's or my TDK reference standard's there is a sort of openness that is missing from the Phantoms. For day to day listening I still use the Phantoms though.
Reading through the review it is hard to know if they had reviewed the Phantom as a single unit. It would have been nice for them to clarify the situation as I would not expect a review of any quality 'stereo' speaker system to demonstrate depth and clarity when listened to as a mono unit.
The fact that they rate the Phantom so highly as a single unit only demonstrates that what it does, it does its thing better than it ought to be able to - please set up a pair and judge them in a more realistic configuration.
If reviewed as a pair, then let us know, as the comments about foggy sound and lack of separation is the opposite of what I found that Phantoms do better than any speaker in anything close to their price range.
There does seem to be a reluctance to consider Phantoms seriously, which is a shame - maybe the looks are too dramatic to be considered true high end for some.

I have been proud owner of a pair of Silver Phantoms for a year and would not hesitate in shouting out to all to at least go listen and judge for yourself.
(18-Dec-2016, 12:38)HJFB Wrote: Reading through the review it is hard to know if they had reviewed the Phantom as a single unit. It would have been nice for them to clarify the situation as I would not expect a review of any quality 'stereo' speaker system to demonstrate depth and clarity when listened to as a mono unit.
The fact that they rate the Phantom so highly as a single unit only demonstrates that what it does, it does its thing better than it ought to be able to - please set up a pair and judge them in a more realistic configuration.
If reviewed as a pair, then let us know, as the comments about foggy sound and lack of separation is the opposite of what I found that Phantoms do better than any speaker in anything close to their price range.
There does seem to be a reluctance to consider Phantoms seriously, which is a shame - maybe the looks are too dramatic to be considered true high end for some.

I have been proud owner of a pair of Silver Phantoms for a year and would not hesitate in shouting out to all to at least go listen and judge for yourself.

It looks clear enough to me that it is review of a single unit: (the biggest clue is the article states 'Tested at  £2,160')

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3812
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I like the silvers more then the golds

Especialy when the dialog en the two silver pantoms are connected in the same (not filtered) powerblock and the phantoms and the dialog are all connected with cat7 ethernetcables.

The same powerblock and the connection with the ethernetcables gives a hugh chance in a much better improved sound. Just try it and you would be amazed!
(17-Dec-2016, 23:30)bearcatsandor Wrote: There's a new review for the Gold Phantom:

http://www.whathifi.com/devialet/gold-phantom/review

Nothing in it is too surprising, but i'm wondering if owners of the Gold feel the same way as he did: That
Quote:there’s a lack of separation and space to the sound that makes the Devialet sound dense in the manner of fog – everything happens at speed, with an assertion that sometimes borders on aggression, and the small-ish soundstage as a consequence is not so much muddled as crowded.
Yesterday I went for a comparison between a pair of golds and a pair of silvers. To be honest I really preferred the silvers, they seem to be more musical and honest to me. I wouldn't call the golds foggy, but the sound appears somewhat too smooth and polished to me. So now I am the happy owner of a pair of silvers on branches, a dialog and thanks to the Christmas treat also an Apple TV. Set up was easy and went like a charm. Rediscovering all my music, using Spark to stream from my PC (QNAP NAS connected as network drive) as well as Qobuz (Tidal to follow). Also Spotify Connect sounds so much better than before. I am super happy!!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N910C met Tapatalk
(18-Dec-2016, 12:15)Rodrat2 Wrote: I think I understand what they are saying, I have silvers and think they are fantastic. However when I play the same track through either my Maganplanar 1.7's or my TDK reference standard's there is a sort of openness that is missing from the Phantoms. For day to day listening I still use the Phantoms though.

For Magnaplanar, I get it - a dipole, large panel producing sound. It does sound very open to me too. I like that sound. However, you do give up that point source effect.
(18-Dec-2016, 12:54)Confused Wrote:
(18-Dec-2016, 12:38)HJFB Wrote: Reading through the review it is hard to know if they had reviewed the Phantom as a single unit. It would have been nice for them to clarify the situation as I would not expect a review of any quality 'stereo' speaker system to demonstrate depth and clarity when listened to as a mono unit.

It looks clear enough to me that it is review of a single unit:  (the biggest clue is the article states 'Tested at  £2,160')

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3812

Whoa - if it is just a single unit, then it throws the whole review into suspect for me regarding the critique.  Stereo is just essential to compare with other speakers which is in stereo setup.