Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tidal Master Audio has gone Live
From Computer Audiophile:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/conten...surprises/

Quote:

Let me take a minute to explain what this is and why it's a big deal. First, MQA must be decoded for listeners to hear the full quality of the file. Think of it as an SACD with a CD layer. People needed an SACD player to decode the SACD layer of the disc, otherwise the regular CD layer would be played. While not exactly the same, the concept is similar.

When MQA launched, we were told publicly that MQA would only be decoded in hardware (unless played on a mobile device). This meant that people would be required to purchase new MQA enabled DACs to get the full benefit of the technology. The announcement of software decoding means that people only need an app that decodes MQA rather than hardware.

I asked a very high end DAC manufacturer what it saw as the differences between hardware decoding in its DACs and software decoding in an app like Roon (before outputting to its DACs). The answer was a refreshing, "there should be no difference."

That is very interesting to read. And a bit perplexing. I, and I assume many others, have always assumed you HAD to have an MQA capable DAC to get the full benefits of MQA. This says it doesn't

I'm confused to say the least.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.

Messages In This Thread
Tidal Master Audio has gone Live - by Dr Tone - 05-Jan-2017, 16:20
RE: Tidal Master Audio has gone Live - by Pim - 06-Jan-2017, 10:26
RE: Tidal Master Audio has gone Live - by Pim - 06-Jan-2017, 10:42
RE: Tidal Master Audio has gone Live - by LeeC - 06-Jan-2017, 20:01
RE: Tidal Master Audio has gone Live - by Pim - 08-Jan-2017, 09:21