Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Companion LINK failure with Roon AIR
(08-Oct-2019, 07:57)hardcore Wrote:
(07-Oct-2019, 20:48)kerkhoffd Wrote: They sent me two of the latest version 2 of their Digital coax cable, which seemingly has better isolation and the new Carbon DBS with RFI filter included. This seems to do the trick. AQ said that until around production year 2016, AQ cables with DBS failed with certain DAC's because of their inadequate isolation. They measured all right, so passed QC. The new version remedies that error.
Interesting that you said you have a newer production Diamond cable with better isolation, which works with the new DBS pack. Is it possible for you to share a photo of that?

@hardcore: I will try and post one tonight when I am back home. The Diamond cable and jacket of the new cables look the same as they did on my old cable, but the new cables have the new shiny Carbon DBS attached. My old cables had the matt black (rubber coated) 'double barrel' DBS package. I had two of them. One between source and Devialet, and one RCA-AES terminated between the Devialets. They worked with all music except for 24 bit 192khz files. If DBS was unplugged, all files played well, but the music just didn't sound as good. So I doubt it is due to the DBS package, and more like what AQ stated the problem was in the shielding within the cable itself. They even reterminated my old cables first to see if the problem was in the plugs, but that didn't help. I tried with the old cable and the two different kinds of DBS package, but that didn't solve it either. Only when they replaced the cable itself with - what they called - the new and improved, better insulated cable, the problem went away. By then I didn't have the old DBS package anymore, so I could not test those anymore.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands

Messages In This Thread
RE: Companion LINK failure with Roon AIR - by kerkhoffd - 08-Oct-2019, 12:51